2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Rubbing and Pinching Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Re: Convertible Rubbing and Pinching Issues!

I contacted Al via Facebook and he got right back to me. I sent off my information to him but have not heard back yet. I am hoping that this new top does the trick, if not looks like I will have to get another one. Which I do not want to do. I am sure behind the scenes that a fix is in the works but with all the silence from Chevy on this gets us owners undies in a bundle a little bit. I love my car and it just killed me to drop it off today. At least the guys shop that is fixing it is only 2 miles away and I can stop by and watch the progress if I want.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Still no fix after 4 months when I first posted this. So sad to see. If anyone hears of a fix please post it up or do so in the Facebook group dedicated to getting a fix for our 40 thousand dollar cars.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/
Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 95birdible
Still no fix after 4 months when I first posted this. So sad to see. If anyone hears of a fix please post it up or do so in the Facebook group dedicated to getting a fix for our 40 thousand dollar cars.
I am on my second convertible already....there is a fix...the top needs to be taken off and a bracket replaced. I have had it done on mine and I actually work at a chevrolet dealership. I have sold may of the people on this message board. Your dealership you are dealing with may not know how or have a sublet company that does it in their area. The problem was a piece of the bracket is just a little to long and when the top folds it makes a rub or burn like mark on the top. I actually though on my first one it was from my wife smoking. But rest assured there is a fix.

John Trotto
Buff Whelan Chevrolet
586-274-0310
Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

I am really surprised this has gotten to be the issue it has.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 PM

Wow...
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 PM

When I was at the Camaro event held at Summit Racing last September, I was talking to a fellow that drove to the show all the way from Canada and he had a
2011 convertible and he pointed out the marks on his convertible top to me.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Admin Emeritus

Is it like a grime/dirt mark or a wear mark?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:21 PM

I guess I would need to see it in person. Pictures dont really tell anything unless you know what you are looking for.

Is this something that would later become a hole in the top? I see on the facebook page that GM has bought a few cars back. This is not good news.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM

There are huge threads on Camaro5 about this. For many people, it is the wear mark that eventually becomes a hole. For others, it just goes right to a hole. For others yet, there are multiple problems, with the most serious being bow 5 just snaps and pokes a hole in the top. There are also numerous problems with leaking.

Apparently, the original top maker went out of business due to the economic downturn. The replacement maker is having alot of quality issues.

I'm surprised this isn't all over the web.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal

Apparently, the original top maker went out of business due to the economic downturn. The replacement maker is having alot of quality issues.
Interesting - they make vette tops too......
Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 AM

I hate to say it, but if I spent that much money on a car and an issue like this wasn't fixed right away, I would want GM to buy it back as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
There are huge threads on Camaro5 about this. For many people, it is the wear mark that eventually becomes a hole. For others, it just goes right to a hole. For others yet, there are multiple problems, with the most serious being bow 5 just snaps and pokes a hole in the top. There are also numerous problems with leaking.

I'm surprised this isn't all over the web.
It is probably not "all over the web" because there is a fix for rub through. If you listened to the latest podcast you would know about it.

-Geoff
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
I hate to say it, but if I spent that much money on a car and an issue like this wasn't fixed right away, I would want GM to buy it back as well.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:59 PM

GM stepped up to the plate and I am getting a buy back. Ordered my new one yesterday. The rub marks do in fact cause holes in the top. Mine was replaced at 6 weeks of ownership. To date it has been in the shop for 26 days total. This is in less than 3 months on the road. I didn't have a problem with bow 5 breaking though. With the new top I now have different rub marks, bad wind noise, a flood, and now when the top goes down it pretty much falls apart behind the rear windows.
So sad on such a nice car.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM

Hey guys thanks for bringing this issue to the podcast. This has been going on since around March of last year. I was told by Jack Panatleo that the complete fix is in production now and 1 more part goes in next week. There have been more than one problem with the tops over the last year. GM stepped up and made it right and bought mine back. Ordered up a new one yesterday.
If you would like to check out this Facebook page there is lots of stories and pictures of our messed up tops.

Thanks again,

Jason

Quick Reply: Convertible Rubbing and Pinching Issues!