2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Convertible Rubbing and Pinching Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:32 PM

Convertible Rubbing and Pinching Issues!

Just curious how many of you are having problems with your tops on 11 and 12 models? I have a 2012 1SS Vert and have had it since 8/4 and have had rub marks since the first day I have owned it. 6 Weeks later my top needs to be replaced already. I contacted Al Oppenheiser via Facebook with my info and he said to send my info to his personal email and he would get right on it.
If you have issue please chime in or even if you have heard of any.
Seems to me this is a major design problem that is being addressed but the correct fix is not in yet.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 09-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Re: Convertible Rubbing and Pinching Issues!

Here is a quote from Al around the time of the Indy 500 this year.

“For many buyers, a Camaro Convertible can be a collector car, something they might keep for generations. So we made sure the tops would retain their quality for a long, long time,” said Oppenheiser. “There is great value in a convertible with the original top.” Oppenheiser knows the needs for car collectors well. He personally restored a 1969 Camaro Convertible several years ago.

As an owner of a 2012 I am not happy nor satisfied having my top replaced after 6 weeks of ownership.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:55 PM

I am curious to what you mean by rub marks. Sorry, I have never owned a convertible. Can you take pics of what you are talking about and post them up?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Cool Re: Convertible Rubbing and Pinching Issues!

It's unfortunate that this happened, but I'm sure you will be taken care of and this will be addressed. It's wonderful that we have such great access to the Camaro team to help address concerns and problems.

Originally Posted by 95birdible

As an owner of a 2012 I am not happy nor satisfied having my top replaced after 6 weeks of ownership.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 AM

Decided to hold my tongue on this one.

Last edited by WhiteHawk; 09-25-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I will let someone else do it
Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by 95birdible
Seems to me this is a major design problem......
Just curious, but why do you think this is a "major design problem"?
Is there any substantial validated quantitative data out there that backs up your assertion?
Maybe it's just your car, or just the original top on your car. Maybe it was an installation issue. Maybe someone at the dealer readjusted the top before delivery and made it worse.

I'm glad to hear that Chevy and Al will be looking into it, but my guess is this is just an isolated adjustment incident. GM will take care of you.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:05 PM

If you look around the net and other Camaro message boards you can see the various issues with the 11's and 12's. Mine has rubbing on each side. The top itself is just fine. The issues that are occuring are pinching causing holes along with the rubbing issue. I had my 95 Firebird vert for 14 years and the top still looked like new when I got rid of it. Jeff Morris who is a Chevy rep gave me a case number for my top without even looking at it. Trust me, there is at least 3 TSB's on this for potential band aid fixes. One even includes tape. I love my car and hope it gets fixed as good as new.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:50 AM

Yep, I have the same problem--and it seems like plenty of other owners have the same. It's not an isolated incident, and it's definitely not normal.

I'm waiting for GM to come out with a definitive fix. It seems too many owners are jumping the gun, wanting their babies to be "perfect" and going in for too many band-aid fixes.

Hopefully they announce something soon.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Admin Emeritus

Someone please post some pictures of this issue.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 PM

Rubbing and pinching issues? You sound like my wife!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:05 PM

Somebody tell me how to get the pictures in here and I will. They are on my hard drive so I don't have a link to post them.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:14 PM

Here are the pics you requested. Get my new top installed tomorrow after 2200 miles and 7 weeks of ownership. Hope this works!

Old 09-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

What part of the car causes that? Is it from itself when it folds into the trunk area or something else?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 PM

Nobody from Chevy has said. From My perspective it looks like the rails are pinching it when it folds back at sits in the well. I'm not an engineer so I'm really not the person to ask. Look around at the 11's and 12's if you see them with the top up. You will see it on them as well. At least I don't have any hole in it yet.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Admin Emeritus

Whenever there is a warranty issue, it doesn't stop at the dealership It goes right up the chain to Al Oppenhieser himself. Connecting with him already probably didn't hurt.

For example...if a part breaks (or in this case, the design needs to be evaluated), it gets sent to his team and they analyze it and consider what they need to do to keep it from happening again and make production and design changes as necessary. It doesn't just get replaced and forgotten about.

Quick Reply: Convertible Rubbing and Pinching Issues!