2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concept vs Production Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Re: Concept vs Production Car

the so called "cold air intake" was just a high polished pipe still using the factory air box....not my idea of a cold air intake. just buy an aftermarket one. an air box isnt going to mess your car up to make you take it into the shop for warranty work. and if it does, put your old air box back on and take it in to the dealership for service.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by skuttduck

Are you saying the factory air box is sufficient? If so why was a performance air box planned?

I know why it hasn't been released but my question that I can't get answered is will it ever be released?

It wasn't released as I was told it didn't perform well enough for them to want to put it on the car.

GM redesigned the unreleased footwell lighting, and released the highwing spoiler. This is still the last item listed in the initial GM accessory catalog to be released.
I have no idea why GM has never made it, but your reasoning makes sense to me about not being able to improve it. The stock airbox with the snorkel seems like a pretty good piece to me.

Does anyone know if the V6 and V8's use the same airbox? The first thing I would if I was waiting for a V6 cold air kit is see if I could upgrade to the V8. Stock V8 should be plenty of air for the V6. If they are the same, then I would spend the money elsewhere.

-Geoff
Old 09-23-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
I have no idea why GM has never made it, but your reasoning makes sense to me about not being able to improve it. The stock airbox with the snorkel seems like a pretty good piece to me.

Does anyone know if the V6 and V8's use the same airbox? The first thing I would if I was waiting for a V6 cold air kit is see if I could upgrade to the V8. Stock V8 should be plenty of air for the V6. If they are the same, then I would spend the money elsewhere.

-Geoff
I feel like an idiot posting about it now, but I still would like a straight answer from GM. Are you going to release an airbox upgrade or aren't you?

I've waited two years because you (GM) give an answer that you don't recommend doing anything that would void my warranty, and my dealer told me the same thing.

As for the v8 and v6 using the same airbox. They use the same drop in filter, the only difference I can tell is that the V8 airbox has another resonator on the curve after the sensor.

I asked Al Oppenheiser in 2010, he told me October. This last year I asked him and he thought it had been released, but he delayed it from October because it didn't perform well enough.

I used to check once a month, but I don't see why I even bother anymore. I have a feeling that my K&N filter that I dropped in is doing the same thing that the GMPP airbox would do anyhow.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

On my L99 when it was stock, no aftermarket CIA increased horsepower worth mentioning, and some lost power. The factory airbox allows for zero intake vacuum.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
On my L99 when it was stock, no aftermarket CIA increased horsepower worth mentioning, and some lost power. The factory airbox allows for zero intake vacuum.
I always thought of asking you that, but never did, as right after that, the ZL1 Iver showed up.

Sounds like GM did almost too good of a job with the stock airbox.