2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concept vs Production Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 PM

Concept vs Production Car

Being on the cutting edge things I just down loaded the Camaroz28 screen saver today.It is truly amazing to me how much our 2011 2 LT R/S looks like the concept car.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 AM

Re: Concept vs Production Car

i beleive gm said this was one of the only cars that actually took shape after the concept. most only use certain styling points for future cars. but with the camaro, it actually took on the look of the entire car.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

The Concept was such a hit that they knew if they deviated too far from it that it would be a complete letdown and it would not be the success that it is. Changing one small thing would lead to large design changes so some sacrifices had to be made such as visibility, B-pillars, etc.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 AM

I do kind of wish some of the other things made it into the 2010 that should have been there.

How about those backup sensors that are shown in the owners manual. The area in front of the brake light was supposed to have LED's showing you how far you were to the object behind you.

Ambient lighting in the dash. I was one of the last cars that still had the factory wiring for this, so I finished it off myself.

Glovebox light. Are you telling me that the hole over on the left hand side of the glovebox light was "not" for a light?

Heads up display. This didn't make it until the 2011 model year.

Ah well, there comes a point that GM should get the car released and then add the features later.

Kind of on subject, it's been 2 years now, and GM has still not released the cold air intake kit.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 AM

do you really want to pay 500 bucks for a chrome gm intake cover and a pipe? its not even a cold air intake. it just eliminates the air pockets in the pipe.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
do you really want to pay 500 bucks for a chrome gm intake cover and a pipe? its not even a cold air intake. it just eliminates the air pockets in the pipe.
If it did what it was supposed to do, and not give me any hassle about my extended warranty. Yes I would.

My dealer was not sure about going aftermarket for aftermarket Cold Air intake, but was ok with the exhaust since the Corsa Catback has its own lifetime warranty.

Besides that GM redesigned the footwell lighting to light up the whole area. They could redesign the whole cold air intake by now. Which I guess is most likely what they are doing. However, I would like to know if they have no plans to release it, and then I will get something else.

Last edited by skuttduck; 09-06-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 AM

just because corsa has a lifetime warranty, that doesnt mean it doesnt void your cars warranty. it voids more than just the catbacks warranty. your messing with air flow. that voids the motors warranty. might as well go aftermarket on the intake now. got any friends at the dealership?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by skuttduck
Kind of on subject, it's been 2 years now, and GM has still not released the cold air intake kit.
The car has a factory cold air intake - the airbox has a snorkel that comes up behind the driver's side headlight. Have you even looked under the hood?

-Geoff
Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
The car has a factory cold air intake - the airbox has a snorkel that comes up behind the driver's side headlight. Have you even looked under the hood?

-Geoff
This has been in the catalog for 2 years now Geoff.

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/perfor...f94b7488221a9a
Old 09-21-2011, 01:32 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Interesting tidbit - when someone would propose changing something on the 'production' Camaro that would make it differ from the 'concept' - they were given an appointment with Mr. Lutz to explain just exactly WHY the change was necessary.......................
Old 09-21-2011, 01:36 PM

so there wasnt too many of those appointments then i guess
Old 09-21-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Interesting tidbit - when someone would propose changing something on the 'production' Camaro that would make it differ from the 'concept' - they were given an appointment with Mr. Lutz to explain just exactly WHY the change was necessary.......................
So things like the B pillar addition, the turn signals being moved to the inside of the headlights, the width of the car, and the rear tail lights were probably appointments.

Still I have to commend GM on staying true to the concept. It's one heck of a great car.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 PM

I doubt the b-post required an appointment as much as it did some engineering opinion. Long-term I think Camaro will benefit from having the center post.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by skuttduck
This has been in the catalog for 2 years now Geoff.

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/perfor...f94b7488221a9a
My point is you are complaining about GM not releasing a cold air kit to a car with a cold air kit from the factory. This is the kind of stuff the should be delaying to put out real performance parts.

-Geoff
Old 09-22-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
My point is you are complaining about GM not releasing a cold air kit to a car with a cold air kit from the factory. This is the kind of stuff the should be delaying to put out real performance parts.

-Geoff

Are you saying the factory air box is sufficient? If so why was a performance air box planned?

I know why it hasn't been released but my question that I can't get answered is will it ever be released?

It wasn't released as I was told it didn't perform well enough for them to want to put it on the car.

GM redesigned the unreleased footwell lighting, and released the highwing spoiler. This is still the last item listed in the initial GM accessory catalog to be released.

Quick Reply: Concept vs Production Car