2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concept on Kappa, Product on Zeta?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:35 PM

Concept on Kappa, Product on Zeta?

well... let me get this figured out... let me track all of the Zeta work...

the Zeta platform began a while back... they stoped it said it would be too expensive, then Holden resumed the design?

okay... Now say GM gives the Camaro a red light...

that means Zeta work is just going to be used on the Holden flagship and an exported GTO?

That means the Zeta wont see much more then 20-30k units...?

the Corvette outsells that... in the USA alone...

what would use the Zeta platform should the Camaro be a no go...?

or would the continue to produce something, just throw up a hail mary sportscar...?

Is styling the only thing thats being tested right now with the Camaro Concept?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:39 PM

Re: Concept on Kappa, Product on Zeta?

Where have you found the concept was based on Kappa? I thought I saw a previous post that it was based on the Sigma currently used for some of the Caddys? I'm not trying to correct you, by any means. I'd just like to know which is correct.

Also, I've heard that the production car will be on a platform they're refering to as "Zeta lite". Whatever that means.

I'm guessing it tastes great, and is less filling...

Last edited by RhinoSS; 01-10-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by RhinoSS
Where have you found the concept was based on Kapa? I thought I saw a previous post that it was based on the Sigma currently used for some of the Caddys? I'm not trying to correct you, by any means. I'd just like to know which is correct.
I've heard that as well... but i was corrected a while back let me get something...

Whatever it looks like, it sure beats another full-size SUV, and, okay, it feels good to get excited about a new GM car again. If rampant speculation is correct, the Ford Mustang will have a playmate by the 2009 model year, one built on a low-cost version of the Sigma platform, the company’s midsize rear-wheel drive architecture that underpins the Cadillac CTS. Other reports indicate that General Motors is also considering a stretched version of the Kappa (Solstice) platform, or using a revised version of the new Zeta platform being built in Australia for Holden. Chances are, however, that it will be either the Sigma or the Australian platform – imagine stretching the Pontiac Solstice and then jamming the Corvette’s V8 engine down its gullet. Yeah – not likely to be a good plan.
AutoWeek has more info on Chevrolet’s new Camaro Concept that will appear at the Detroit Auto Show in January and show up in 2009 as a production model. Rumor has it the car will ride on a stretched version of the Kappa (Solstice, Sky) platform. The car is set for production as a 2009 model, sources say
Old 01-10-2006, 03:55 PM

Charlie put this one to rest in another thread. the concept was on a modified Sigma chassis (he was there in person).

the production model will be on Zeta.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

I spoke to a GM engineer who put this car together. He said the front end underneath was from a Cadillac STS and the rear was from Holden.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:36 PM

I don't think it really matters what the chassis is called - the fact is they've got some rear drive bits out there now, either in the parts bin or in development, and one way or another they will underpin the new Camaro if/when it hits the streets. The leaked diagram of the underbody seems to be a true representation of what's under the concept.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisFrez
I spoke to a GM engineer who put this car together. He said the front end underneath was from a Cadillac STS and the rear was from Holden.

Intresting article that confirms the Holden connection Chris

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...863238790.html

This is the best bit....

but the Herald understands it is close to being confirmed for production.
"We have Australian engineers working on this project right now," Denny Mooney, the American boss of Holden, told the Herald.

Last edited by AnthonyHSV; 01-10-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by ChrisFrez

I heard exactly the opposite Chris...rear was STS and engine cradle / front suspension was Holden... makes sense from the problems with front strut height I heard about....but no real matter there....

I had a good talk with Doug Houlihan, Chief Engineer for Global RWD Program (being transferred down under to join in the effort with Holden) and he really wanted to hear our thoughts....of which I filled him with of course (Z/28 model and all )
Old 01-10-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
I heard exactly the opposite Chris...rear was STS and engine cradle / front suspension was Holden... makes sense from the problems with front strut height I heard about....but no real matter there....
That's what I heard also.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:24 PM

Mighty nice of you to tell him the that the Z/28 should be the base performance model Doug. SS fans the world over appreciate it!

James
Old 01-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Prominent Member

Cool Re: Concept on Kappa, Product on Zeta?

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
Mighty nice of you to tell him the that the Z/28 should be the base performance model Doug. SS fans the world over appreciate it!

James
Again, exactly opposite of what was said...
Old 01-10-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Again, exactly opposite of what was said...
Oh, I got the message out myself. If not directly then subliminally, hell, even to the interior design people.

But to be honest, the video and unveiling were so dripping with Z/28 images and symbolism....I think I was singing to the choir.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:24 PM

OK guys.

After reviewing the video footage I shot at the show, the rear suspension looks exactly like the CAD drawing, meaning the Zeta IRS. The front suspension is supposed to be McPherson Struts, and since Bob Lutz hogged the front of the car for interviews (j/k... though he did ), and I wasn't able to get my recorder underneath the front of the car before they rounded up all of us for the bus, I'm going to have to take the word of the press kit.

Being that the car is 79" wide (nearly 5 inches wider than Cadillac's STS), the rear came from Holden (apparently from the VE), assuming the front is struts, and that the Camaro is going to be based on a car supposedly bigger (wider) than the STS, I'd say we have a cobbled together mule version of the actual chassis guys.

Last edited by guionM; 01-10-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:30 PM

Charlie, you and Doug are my new favorite people on the planet.

did you happen to mention the slash Charlie?????
Old 01-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Bah, that's all I have to say to the lot of you!

Quick Reply: Concept on Kappa, Product on Zeta?