2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHP isn't likely to buy the next B4C Camaro.. and it's GM's own fault! (mini rant)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Not to totally disrespect this thread, but....does this really matter in the big picture? I mean, if the CHP doesn't buy 100 or so Camaros for service use is it going to make or break the model? I can understand not wanting Chevy to have the bad rap it took in some fleet circles from the 4th Gen B4C, but if they aren't willing to look at an all-new and vastly improved 5th Gen Camaro because of what they got in 2002, you aren't going to be able to help that.

If GM is desperate to fix the image of the Camaro cop car, and they stand behind the new one, donate a couple of them to CHP and let them put it through the paces. Then again, if GM is desperately trying to unload 100 Camaros the model has much bigger problems than whether or not CHP likes them.
Consider the money GM spends to advertise versus the profit + street advertising of 100 Camaro's running up and down California's highways.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
Actually the Caprice 9C1 was very popular and was rated Americas best police car by MSPs annual tests from the mid 80s up until the B-Body demise in 1996. Even the old square bodied Caprices from the 80s was the fastest and best handling of the flying bricks(Ford LTD, Dodge Dipolmat, Plymouth Gran Fury) back then, even though the LO5 only produced 180-190 hp through the 80s.
The 1991 redesign of the Caprice was met with great controversy over its questionable "areo" styling, and many nick names came about. The controversy soon faded as officers drove the new Caprice 9C1 with its much improved performance with capabilities of breaking the 130 mph barrier, which was the first police sedan to do so in 20 years, all with pretty much the same carryover powertrain, the 5.7L LO5.

Then in 1994 the LT1 became the top engine in the Caprice for 3 short years and the police market would never be the same again as the Caprice took on a legendary status among police cars. With performance that is just now being eclipsed in 2006, 10 years after the Caprice 9C1 ended production. In 1994 MSP pitted a Caprice 9C1 LT1 against a 1993 SSP Mustang on the road course and the Caprice was only 4 tenths of a second slower around the road course than the Mustang, even though the Caprice was 1,000 lbs. heavier.

There were many, many differences between the Caprice 9C1 and the civilian Carpice LT1. GM could do this because the Caprice owned about 70% of the police market, which equaled about 40,000 to 50,000 Caprices each year. Camaro on the other hand only sold a few hundred B4C every year, which would make offering special HD parts a little impracitical. However the 3rd gen Camaro B4C of the early 90s had a lot of 1LE parts on them including dual piston brake calipers. 2002 ended up being the best year for Camaro B4Cs sells at 702 units. Even with that low of a production run, it looks like GM could have used some HD transmissons in the B4C.

KSP (Kentucky State Police) has about a dozen or so 2002 Camaro B4Cs in service, but I haven't heard anything about them having lots of problems with them, there main garage is here in town and they are stored there when there are not in use (bad weather).

Great post!

The only think I'd question is acceptance of ABS on the '91 Caprice. It was very controversial & wasn't vey popular with the CHP (infact, the optioned out of ABS with the '02 B4C purchase).

The draw with the Mustang was that they cost considerably less than a police sedan, were very quick, very low mantinence outside of the front brakes rotors and assembly (a frequent maintenence item, but rarely more than $100 per set), and when the state was done with them, they resold for more than the sedans did despite initially costing less.

I feel GM could have at the very least put a truck level transmission and a more durable rear end, which would eliminate the key complaints (that even some here have mentioned). Scott once mentioned the key reason for the rear end was to help keep weight down (and the Silverado's tranny is a little heavier than the one in the Camaro), so it doesn't appear to be a cost issue.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by graham
Consider the money GM spends to advertise versus the profit + street advertising of 100 Camaro's running up and down California's highways.
Possibly, that's debatable. I can honestly say that seeing Charger cop cars here in Michigan didn't make them more desireable to me.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JJJ93z
Good read well stated arguments, but if youre going to buy a fbody with over 100k miles that was used by a police officer you better be willing to invest or at least put aside some serious money b/c you just bought yourself a can of worms.
Again, depends on who you buy it from.

Buying a 120K mile Crown Vic from the California Highway Patrol is most likely going to be in far superior condition than a 50K mile car from LA. A Texas Public Safety cruiser is almost always going to be in better condition than a cruiser same or lower mileage cruiser in El Paso or Huston.

States have bigger budgets, outside of heat and constant driving (far easier on a car than thousands of times over a city car has to starts it's engine, how often it uses it brakes, how many cycles it's transmission shifts, not to mention the potholes and curbs a city car encounters over a freeway cruiser. On top of all that, state agencies tend to take better care of their cars... after all, a cruiser breaking down at 5th & Broadway is alot closer to help and less an impact to the area than a car (like my B4C) that was the only patrol car in a relatively large area (a cruiser in some places in California is the only one assingned to areas the size of most east coast cities.

Not to totally disrespect this thread, but....does this really matter in the big picture? I mean, if the CHP doesn't buy 100 or so Camaros for service use is it going to make or break the model? I can understand not wanting Chevy to have the bad rap it took in some fleet circles from the 4th Gen B4C, but if they aren't willing to look at an all-new and vastly improved 5th Gen Camaro because of what they got in 2002, you aren't going to be able to help that.

If GM is desperate to fix the image of the Camaro cop car, and they stand behind the new one, donate a couple of them to CHP and let them put it through the paces. Then again, if GM is desperately trying to unload 100 Camaros the model has much bigger problems than whether or not CHP likes them.
CHP has tested quite a few "donated" cars. They even ran a few Volvos about 6 years ago. Arizona ran a couple of Thunderbird SCs when they 1st came out that were donated. However, donated cars are more for the automaker to find weaknesses and improve strengths in their cars.

The big deal is when a major agency like the CHP thinks highly enough of a car to spend their own budgets to buy it. When the CHP became the 1st major agency to buy Ford's New Special service Mustang (the 1st car of it's type created especially for police use), it was a major coup for ford.

Ask anyone old enough to remember the :"This Mustang Chases Porsches For A Living" advertizement campaigns, or the Mustang brochures that had at least 1 picture somewhere of a Mustang in black & white police garb, or the countless police agencies (including Seal Beach, CA) that used the Mustang as a public relations tool, and not the least, how many teenagers and regular cer guys would gather around a police Mustang at a gas station and ask questions and give complements or how frequently police departments would send one of their Mustangs to a car show or Mustang gathering.

Sure, the CHP bought between 150-200 Mustangs per year on average, but those Mustangs probally helped sell thousands over civilian Mustangs. Again, people saying to themselves "If that car can take their heavy usage, then it's GOT to be dependable!"

Possibly, that's debatable. I can honestly say that seeing Charger cop cars here in Michigan didn't make them more desireable to me.
If you already hate a car, then seeing them on the highway isn't going to matter a heel of beans to you, regardless as to how well they do perform. On the other hand, the slightest problem is going to be magnified because you're already biased against the car. That's human nature.

But to the neutral guy or gal on the streets who begins to see something eye catching or "high profile" being used (ie: Mustang, Camaro, or even a still aggressive looking Charger), it's going to turn on a light inside their noggin.

Last edited by guionM; 12-18-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
If you already hate a car, then seeing them on the highway isn't going to matter a heel of beans to you, regardless as to how well they do perform.
Actually, I'm quite indifferent toward the Charger. And I'll stand by my opinion....whether or not the 5th Gen is bought by CHP, or Michigan State Police, or whomever....will be almost irrelevant to its image or success.

Does Ford have a police package for the late model Mustang yet?
Old 12-18-2006, 05:48 PM

Sure, the CHP bought between 150-200 Mustangs per year on average, but those Mustangs probally helped sell thousands over civilian Mustangs. Again, people saying to themselves "If that car can take their heavy usage, then it's GOT to be dependable!"
I don't know if the general population would see it that way...I think most would just see it as "wow that car must be fast!" -- and those that do know "more" and see them as dependable, probably are smart enough to wait for the next Camaro!
Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 PM

It sure didn't take someone very long to make a 5th gen CHP model.

I gotta say that looks pretty cool, but it would have been better as a slick top.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:38 PM

looks nice! I'd try to get a speeding ticket just to get close to one!

I have not yet seen a photo of the Camaro with an antenna either...helps me visualize a production version better....even though it's something as stupid as a vertical line added to the car.

If they produce that Italian style Mustang....I wonder if that car's design has anything that wouldn't be suitable for a cop car (giant glass piece?)
Old 12-19-2006, 09:21 AM

Just a quickie..

Wouild it not be fairly asinine (sp?) for CHP to assume that an all new (ground up) car thats been to rest for 7 years would be the same as it was in (basically) '93?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by graham
Just a quickie..

Wouild it not be fairly asinine (sp?) for CHP to assume that an all new (ground up) car thats been to rest for 7 years would be the same as it was in (basically) '93?
There's two types of logic you could use. Logic 'A' would say the car is new from the ground up, has infinitely more resources, effort and attention given to it, and the fact that it's supposed to be a statement car from GM in terms of quality (per guionm) makes it a great buy.

Logic 'B' goes along the lines of....fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....
Old 12-20-2006, 07:37 PM

It sure didn't take someone very long to make a 5th gen CHP model.

I gotta say that looks pretty cool, but it would have been better as a slick top.
The B4Cs ran with the thin bar with LEDs. Even at a few car lengths, it looks like a ski rack. The Mustangs used to have the internal flashing lights mounted above the rearview against the windshield or the red spotlight.

The paint job is accurate though.

Great job.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:51 PM

The B4Cs ran with the thin bar with LEDs. Even at a few car lengths, it looks like a ski rack. The Mustangs used to have the internal flashing lights mounted above the rearview against the windshield or the red spotlight.

The paint job is accurate though.

Great job.

I know I wasn't clear on my post.........it was late, I didn't make this model, I found the pics. surfing the web and linked them here.

Question for GuionM, whats the deal in California with police cars haveing a red spotlight or red light on the front dash that doesn't flash?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:38 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Steve0
It was a good system. Just had a few issues. My stock opti lasted over 100,000 miles. I swapped it for peace of mind when I did my waterpump, which was also still in good shape.
Mine lasted 230,000 miles till the head gasket blew... I'm contemplating putting it on the new stroker just ot see how much farther it'll go.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Steve in Seattle
I'm contemplating putting it on the new stroker just ot see how much farther it'll go.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:48 PM

I know I wasn't clear on my post.........it was late, I didn't make this model, I found the pics. surfing the web and linked them here.

Question for GuionM, whats the deal in California with police cars haveing a red spotlight or red light on the front dash that doesn't flash?
For Whaterver reason it's the Law in CA that Police Vechicles must have a steady burn Red Light to the front. Hence the term "Califorina Light" when used in a Light Bar.

Quick Reply: CHP isn't likely to buy the next B4C Camaro.. and it's GM's own fault! (mini rant)