2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

chassis experts, chime in please...

Old 12-08-2005, 10:07 AM

Re: chassis experts, chime in please...

The CAD is Sigma....look at it again Charlie. Yes somebody said the A-arms look different but the CAD doesn't even show A-arms at all, so that's not really comparable.

The fuel tank, the rear subframe, the rear lower A-arms, exhaust placement.....Maybe we're looking at different drawings because it all looks virtually identical to from behind the front subframe all the way back. I'll grant you the front subframe looks different, but even those two subframe rails that extend under the passenger area are the same and appear to be in the same place.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by greg_nate
The give away for me are the front subframes. They are identical in shape and size.

The caddy has a different front rack and gas tank setup.

I don't know, they look completely different to me.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
The CAD is Sigma....look at it again Charlie. Yes somebody said the A-arms look different but the CAD doesn't even show A-arms at all, so that's not really comparable.

The fuel tank, the rear subframe, the rear lower A-arms, exhaust placement.....Maybe we're looking at different drawings because it all looks virtually identical to from behind the front subframe all the way back. I'll grant you the front subframe looks different, but even those two subframe rails that extend under the passenger area are the same and appear to be in the same place.
I've confirmed with someone more knowledgeable on this subject than me, that the CAD is NOT Sigma. Don't make me give you the winkey, Chris.

Oh, what the heck........

Last edited by Z284ever; 12-08-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I've confirmed with someone more knowledgeable on this subject than me, that the CAD is NOT Sigma. Don't make me give you the winkey, Chris.

Oh, what the heck........
OK...processing................................... .................................got it!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by greg_nate
Now the question is: Will it stay on this platform, or is this just a donor platform for the concept?
Ask yourself this:
Why would GM need to create a 3D rendered engineered design for the donor platform on a concept car?

Wait for it....

Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 AM

Well, if this CZ6 thing is clearly what our future RWD cars will be based on, I guess that a lot of us got our wish for a MODERN IRS set up. I can assume that parts will be beefed up since Camaro drivers probably will beat on the cars a lot more then even CTS-V drivers.
When my customer comes in with his GTO, I will also take pictures of the underside.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Ask yourself this:
Why would GM need to create a 3D rendered engineered design for the donor platform on a concept car?

Wait for it....

Because it will be a 07 MY available late 06.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
Because it will be a 07 MY available late 06.
We would've heard from suppliers already. I imagine when RFQ's go out, it will be a matter of hours before that info leaks.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:57 AM

Yeah, I know. Just contributing to more...
Old 12-08-2005, 11:59 AM

Well, I can only assume that this means that work is pretty much done on chassis design. All it will take is an offical production sheetmetal and the usual testing of durability....give it 18 months. That puts it mid 2007 as a MY2008, and if thats the case, its just in time for GM's 100th bday...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Well, I can only assume that this means that work is pretty much done on chassis design. All it will take is an offical production sheetmetal and the usual testing of durability....give it 18 months. That puts it mid 2007 as a MY2008, and if thats the case, its just in time for GM's 100th bday...

but wouldn't it be nice if they can sneak it in as a 2007 1/2 and give us a 40th anniversary.......
Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 PM

Yeah I'm guessing mid 2007 as well
Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6

BZZZZZZZZZZZTTTT, wrong answer.

I have to run to a meeting, but the front suspension in the CAD drawings is IDENTICAL to the GTO except front steer instead of rear steer placement of the rack.

Yousaid, the CAD doesn't show an A-Arm, butit does. You can clearly see the red circle that represents the strut. the little green line that runs from the sub-frame to the strut is the lateral locating link, and the orange diagnonal link is the longitudinal locator, with eth purple diagonal the sway bar.

I have to run to a meeting, but just do a quick search for the GTO underbody shots on the web and you'll saee exactly what i'm talking about.

The rear though looks a lot more like the CTS. Doesn't mean that's what it is though. The GTO rear suspension looks like traditional front A-arms turned sideways. The new VZ (or VE, i never remember which is the new one) might have leveraged the sigma rear suspension in it's redesign. from what i understand, the GTO rear suspension is antique, designed in the late 80s, early 90s, so it was due for an upgrade.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:34 PM

meeting on hold, so after a quick google search:

Look at the front suspsension and try to tell me that anything except the rack location is different. Ok, the subframe in the CAD goes back a bit further too, but otherwise, the strut and locating link/sway bar are a dead match.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:47 PM

I can't honestly tell Ed, the beauty covers on the GTO obscure the front subframe too much. Pretty clear to me from the floorpan back is def. NOT GTO though. I'll do some more comparison.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chassis experts, chime in please...