2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: Which would you buy?
Challenger
11.61%
Camaro
88.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Challenger vs Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:28 AM

Re: Challenger vs Camaro

I (seriously) am planning to buy one of each, though probably a couple of years apart. Gotta get while the gettin' is good and all.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:30 AM

LOL. Uh. Anybody wanna guess what the result will be? The only question is how many factors the Camaro will win by (on this site).
Old 01-11-2006, 10:33 AM

Probably equivalent to how the Challenger fares on Mopar boards. This is a loaded question But I have seen a surprising amount of acceptance for the Challenger here, and conversely for Chevy on the Mopar boards I frequent.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:12 PM

Challenger all the way.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:58 PM

Funny...

The Challenger exterior does nothing for me, yet I like the Camaro exterior.

On the other hand, the Camaro interior does nothing for me, yet I like the Challenger interior.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:06 PM

As the owner of a '69 Camaro, I have to say the styling of the concept Camaro is a disaster. Ford and Chrysler got it right. In fact, they got it spot-on. Why can't GM?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:51 PM

Its no contest to me. The Camaro looks a billion times better, and is nowhere near as big. When I look at the Challenger, I don't see a sporty car at all.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mrpoizun
As the owner of a '69 Camaro, I have to say the styling of the concept Camaro is a disaster. Ford and Chrysler got it right. In fact, they got it spot-on. Why can't GM?
Interesting to hear from a '69 owner. Of course, the lead designer (Tom Peters, who also penned the C6) also owns a '69 Camaro (ZL1 clone). It was at the show near the concept. So does Ed Welburne, head of GM Design (a yellow '69 with black stripes, which was also at the debut).

They might disagree with you. I don't know how anyone could call it a disaster...

What is special about the Ford and DCX approaches? To me it isn't like they took the same approach. Ford's is heavily retro, obviosly meant to invoke images of the old car, kinda like VW's New Beetle and the new Mini. DCX went beyond retro, in my opinion, making a car that practically could actually be a '70 Challenger with an updated interior and bigger wheels/tires/brakes. So if the Challenger is "spot on", doesn't the Mustang bug you for being similar but not quite the same as the original?

I guess I see how some people want the '69 basically rebuilt but with modern powertrain/suspension/brakes/etc. As for me, I think I'm glad that they took an obviously first gen inspired approach, but actually put some effort and creativity into it (as Ford did to a degree) rather than just remake the same thing like DCX basically did. To me, the new Camaro looks like a futuristic version of a first gen. In person it is quite striking. By the way, if you've only seen the silver pics (which is the color I saw in person at NAIAS), you owe it to yourself to check out the red version shown in LA after the debut in Detroit. Or, for that matter, a few photoshopped pics in orange and other colors which are floating around the board.

I think it looked damn good in silver, but the red version about made me wet myself. What a sexy car.

But we're all entitled to our opinions, for certain.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:02 PM

This was close for me. I've always loved Camaros (currently own an '02 SS Convertible, Blue, turbocharged) and never liked any Chrysler products but DANG that Challenger looks good. I love the smooth no creases no molds look. I like the looks of the Challenger better than the Camaro and I NEVER thought I would say that ever.
The Camaro is a "9", the Challenger is a "10".
But...I picked Camaro. Loyalty wins. Barely.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Where's the option for BOTH???

The Challenger may be a "pig" (~4100lbs) but it's a pretty pig .
Does the Charger even weigh that much?

Im so happy the Camaro is supposed to be a lil smaller than the Mustang! I hope it is and the stripper car weighs 3300 with me in it!
Old 01-11-2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by graham
Does the Charger even weigh that much?

Im so happy the Camaro is supposed to be a lil smaller than the Mustang! I hope it is and the stripper car weighs 3300 with me in it!
FYI, I wouldn't call it smaller than the Mustang (but it was quite a bit smaller than the Challenger). Mustang is 1-2" longer, yes, but the Camaro (concept) is much wider. Camaro's wheelbase is about 3.5" longer than the Mustang's. Challenger concept is 4" taller, 11" longer on a 5.5" longer wheelbase, and 1" narrower. Challenger is BIG.

No way it will weigh only 3300 lbs, even without you in it. Of course, the Stang GT is 3500 lbs.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:29 PM

I have to say I like them about equal but if you included the GT500 Id take it over all 3. Of course it is a production car or about a million times closer to being one than the Camaro and Challenger so the appearance is more realistic. Hell the only thing I like about the Camaro interior is the steering wheel and we all know its not gonna since GM cant stuff an airbag in it... and wtf are they doing with wood grained interior peices? Its like GM had the Caddy division design and build it... maybe Ill start pinching pennies for a C6. Its the only car GM makes that actually takes on any of their own trademark characteristics.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:34 PM

Woodgrain? What woodgrain?

That stuff that might look like wood in some pics is in fact an orange colored trim (orange meant to invoke mental association with the Hugger Orange color of '69). Dunno what material it is, but it isn't woodgrain trim.

Is that what you are talking about?

Last edited by 96_Camaro_B4C; 01-11-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:10 PM

I think the Camaro concept is almost there. Of course they will redo the interior to be more consumer friendly but I really hope they redo the grille or at least aftermarket creates something to make it better. Although I'm sure it looks better in person.

I don't see the infactuation(sp) with the Challenger. It looks OK for a retro throwback to the original but I would get bored with the style very quickly as it's very bland to me (smooth body with no real lines). Although I never really liked the original in the first place, I would have much rather seen a modern version of a Cuda instead of a Challenger.

My vote would be:
-Camaro
-GT500
-Challenger
Old 01-11-2006, 05:51 PM

Why in the world would anybody buy the Challenger?!

It took no skill to design the new Challenger. It looks almost exactly like the way it looked back in 1970. Just like the latest Mustang, anybody could have designed the car. It takes no talent whatsoever to take an old body style, change a little here and there, and whalla! you have a new car for a new generation! And, still, many people will buy it and the designers will think that they are ****ing awesome for coming up with their new design. Only someone that lacks any sense of style would buy something like the Challenger.

What's great about the concept Camaro is that it ain't over-the-top retro like the Challenger or the Mustang. Yeah, it has the nice rear fender lines of the late 60's Camaro and a front fascia that slightly resembles it, but the similarities end there. Enough modern and original styling elements have been infused in the new design that you can't even call it retro. The GM designers are definitely on the right track with the concept Camaro.

Just to be fair, if the Camaro switched places with the Challenger and that the Camaro was over-the-top-retro and the Challenger retro, but modern, then I would probably take the Challenger over the Camaro. I'll place original and skillful styling over brand loyalty any day as any real car enthusiast should.

Last edited by damon_Z; 01-11-2006 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Challenger vs Camaro