2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CamaroZ28.Com FIRST to Road Test BOTH 2010 Camaro SS and 2010 Camaro LT!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:09 PM

don't get me wrong i think its really cool idea but after my G8 test drive i was wondering about it. i just think if it flipped back it would be very cool. right not it seems kinda pointless to me and to keep the "key" out it will be huge and possibly break(at the pivot point). i'm sure it may seem i'm making a big deal about this and i'm not i just wanted to know and make my opinion known so maybe it can be improved...
Old 03-01-2009, 03:19 PM

I think the keyfob is actually very cool. I don't put any other keys on the key rings of my car fobs, so this for me would be less bulk and a more modern feature. The Vette keyless fob system with the push button start would have been better, but we also would be paying for it in the pirce of the car...so I am sure then people would be complaining that the price is even higher.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM

how much would it add really?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
don't get me wrong i think its really cool idea but after my G8 test drive i was wondering about it. i just think if it flipped back it would be very cool. right not it seems kinda pointless to me and to keep the "key" out it will be huge and possibly break(at the pivot point). i'm sure it may seem i'm making a big deal about this and i'm not i just wanted to know and make my opinion known so maybe it can be improved...
I think it would be kind of difficult to have the key retract back inside the fob. The button to release the key is basically spring loaded and the button obviously ejects the key outward. In order for in to go back into the fob there would have to be some kind of slide mechanism on the side to slide the key back in (manually of course), but IMO that is more work then just manually pushing the key back in.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:25 PM

Look at it another way, now you don't have to use the regular fob to unlock, then sort through your other keys for the ignition key and use it. It is now one unit, all on the easy to locate keyfob. Hit the unlock, switchblade the key open and go all w/ one unit. I see it as an improvement over a separate key and fob regardless of whether or not the key retracts manually or not.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 PM

how much would it add really?
I would quite a bit, since there would need to be electronic door locks with the touch pad handles. Also the electronic starter button and all of the sensors that are needed inside the car. Then there also is the charing slot inside the glove compartment in case the battery in the fob is dead. GM was already trying to get this car as low as it could be. I am sure there are a bunch of options and electronic gadets that they could have added as well, but then it adds to the price as well.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:47 PM

i just don't like it.
Is there anything you DO like?? So far, I hear a lot more bad than good from you about this car .

I think the switch-blade key is great . It's a single-handed operation. Easy. I bet if you practised a "system", you could pretty much get a finger or thumb on the release button AS you're pulling the key out of the ignition, and flip the key back into the fob AS you're getting out of the car. Seriously, it's that easy. Then there's just a fob in your pocket .
Old 03-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Is there anything you DO like?? So far, I hear a lot more bad than good from you about this car .

I think the switch-blade key is great . It's a single-handed operation. Easy. I bet if you practised a "system", you could pretty much get a finger or thumb on the release button AS you're pulling the key out of the ignition, and flip the key back into the fob AS you're getting out of the car. Seriously, it's that easy. Then there's just a fob in your pocket .
sorry for voicing an opinion

unlike you i haven't driven it so i can't comment on that either but i'm sure it drives great.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

You guys aren't actually arguing about this are you? Nah...that would just be silly...

Old 03-01-2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
You guys aren't actually arguing about this are you?
seems so....
Old 03-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by SSPORT10
It would quite a bit, since there would need to be electronic door locks with the touch pad handles. Also the electronic starter button and all of the sensors that are needed inside the car. Then there also is the charing slot inside the glove compartment in case the battery in the fob is dead. GM was already trying to get this car as low as it could be. I am sure there are a bunch of options and electronic gadets that they could have added as well, but then it adds to the price as well.
Nah. It SHOULDN'T, and wouldn't add that much.
If Nissan can put it on an $18K Altima (which are probably marked down to $15K right now), then GM could have put it on a $23-$38K Camaro.
Not a big deal to me, but the keyless start/stop systems are the best. Never have to take the fob out of your pocket again.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
Nah. It SHOULDN'T, and wouldn't add that much.
If Nissan can put it on an $18K Altima (which are probably marked down to $15K right now), then GM could have put it on a $23-$38K Camaro.
Not a big deal to me, but the keyless start/stop systems are the best. Never have to take the fob out of your pocket again.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 AM

Wow, bitching about the KEY??? some people just can't be satisfied. THE CAMARO'S COMING BACK!!!!! Rejoice, stop all the petty belly aching. GEEZE people. I don't car it I had to hot wire the car every time I got in. As long as I can GET in a new Camaro.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by SSPORT10
I think the keyfob is actually very cool. I don't put any other keys on the key rings of my car fobs, so this for me would be less bulk and a more modern feature.
I don't either. If someone jacks your car, I don't see any reason to give them red carpet entry to your house or office.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
Wow, bitching about the KEY??? some people just can't be satisfied. THE CAMARO'S COMING BACK!!!!! Rejoice, stop all the petty belly aching. GEEZE people. I don't car it I had to hot wire the car every time I got in. As long as I can GET in a new Camaro.
as some here know i'm very picky. thing is my old camaro fit me like glove and now every car gets compared to that and most fall short in the comfort area. but i do know the camaro is one hell of a car and i am glad its back. i know i come across harsh sometimes but i am just wanting the best thats all. this is the only car i've ever gotten emotional over as it was unveiled in 06 and when i sat in it at the auto show.

Quick Reply: CamaroZ28.Com FIRST to Road Test BOTH 2010 Camaro SS and 2010 Camaro LT!