2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro "thoughts" at Portland.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
I flew out to ensure that the Chevy/Cadillac/Hummer/Saab displays were set up and that everything was working -- and to do TV interviews for GM. (flew back home today...)

The Camaro at Portland is a base V6 (LS) with zero options. (still has a lot of standard stuff..)

There are not a lot of cars out there yet -- and only a handful of cars with final graining on the interior -

........in fact, Portland is only the 3rd show as of last Monday to have a Camaro with a grained interior where consumers can get in and out of it.

I had a choice of sending a loaded SS/RS to display behind barrier -- or the base LS where people could get in and out.......

I chose "get in and out" --

"Gills" will not be cut out.
I certainly appreciate having a car that people can crawl all over and will take advantage of that when I make it down this weekend but I can't help but wonder what will go through the minds of all the ignorant (read average) people out there that will compare a base model 5th gen with a loaded Mustang and say the Mustang is a better a buy or even worse the Hyundai Genesis coupe.

Case in point being the 2007 Seattle auto show. I finally got to see and touch a new Malibu for the first time as did thousands of other Northwesterners and unlike the Camry's on display the Malibu was a base no frills car. As nice as it is even in base trim people on average look at a base Malibu and a loaded Camry and get the wrong first impression. Having now scene the more upscale Malibu's they embarrass the current Camry IMO.

Just wish there could have been more than one 5th gen to look at even if the SS or SS/RS was only on display.

Then again domestic car sales in the Pacific Northwest seem to be a lost cause regardless of the quality and value being output by GM and Ford today. If it didn't come from Europe, Japan or even Korea it's American crap only suited for those of us to ignorant to be enlightened by the superiority of foreign engineering.

One quick question for you Scott if you pop back in here. Will the Camaro Legends tour be making a comeback now that there is a new Camaro rolling into showrooms?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:13 AM

I flew out to ensure that the Chevy/Cadillac/Hummer/Saab displays were set up and that everything was working -- and to do TV interviews for GM. (flew back home today...)

The Camaro at Portland is a base V6 (LS) with zero options. (still has a lot of standard stuff..)

There are not a lot of cars out there yet -- and only a handful of cars with final graining on the interior -

........in fact, Portland is only the 3rd show as of last Monday to have a Camaro with a grained interior where consumers can get in and out of it.

I had a choice of sending a loaded SS/RS to display behind barrier -- or the base LS where people could get in and out.......

I chose "get in and out" --

thank you very much for the response and answers to my questions.

Personally getting to touch/sit/poke & prod at the car was really cool. That would be a tough choice to have to make. I don't envy that decision in the least. I'm sure people would end up complaining one way or the other.

I know the higher end models will be more formidable in appearance.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:16 AM

full sized images here:
http://ianz28.smugmug.com/gallery/72...68962216_NuT52

And sorry the quality wasn't top notch. I just snapped off some quick images When the opportunity presented itself. I was too busy checking everything out.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 AM

Well.........hey.......mebbe you could swing by and pick up Bob and then the Mustang would have SIX people standing around it!!!

Silly me -- and here I thought I was on CAMAROZ28.COM!!!!
Nah....Portland's a bit too far....and I already know what the Mustang looks like.

One serious point....do the production cars all have that plastic blanket over the engine? Both V6 & V8?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
There was a new Mustang at the St. Louis show, too. It was on a rotating table with one directional on. It was on for a reason. To show off the sequential taillights.
Do the hazards flash sequentially, too? If they do, that's probably why they were on.
I hope that is just for show. I would hate to see Ford have to recall the Mustang soon after release because the tail lamps aren't legal. Sequentials were made illegal back in the 70's.

I was talking to a Ford lighting guy at an SAE show back in 2000 and they were talking about sequentials back then. My buddy says "You know that isn't legal, right?" and the Ford guy just looked at him like a deer in the headlights. I guess he never looked it up!

-Geoff
Old 02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
One serious point....do the production cars all have that plastic blanket over the engine? Both V6 & V8?
There's an optional engine cover in the dealer accessories, but AFAIK it's just so you can replace the factory gray and black one (which I suspect is included on all models) with one matched to your body color.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:18 AM

Hmmm....bummer. Likely easily removed though.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

I would assume so; an engine cover that's difficult to remove seems like a major maintenance issue.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Not from the factory anyways.
Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
I hope that is just for show. I would hate to see Ford have to recall the Mustang soon after release because the tail lamps aren't legal. Sequentials were made illegal back in the 70's.
Don't know if the law is true but I have seen at least one GT500(new) with them. Usually they are behind me so I don't get to see the taillights.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2010SSVERT
Exactly what I was thinking. Wonder how difficult it would be to get a chrome ring or simple hard plastic ring moulding to fit cutouts on those fenders - and of course making the cut-outs functional would be optimal(even if just for appearance).

Something like this except of course would need to be 3 of them for each side or something to replicate the look of three tall slender vent slots....hmm.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2010SSVERT

Don't know if the law is true but I have seen at least one GT500(new) with them. Usually they are behind me so I don't get to see the taillights.
Parking closer to the exit at the mall doesn't constitute being ahead of someone.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by guionm
not a nut swinger of any brand, but ok, i'll take the bait.
(i like the new camaro....but i couldn't resist )
lolololololol
Old 02-07-2009, 03:46 PM

I saw no need to reply to this thread...but since you asked.....

. . . . * * * * Y A W N * * * * . . . .

(not that I'm a Mustang nut swinger)
You guys are hilarious!!
Old 02-07-2009, 07:32 PM

I've never heard that sequential turn signals are illegal.

And I would think twice about cutting the gills open on the 1/4s of the Camaro.
They told us at Indy there was a reason that they're not open. To stop water intrusion into a blind area that couldn't be drained or protected in any way against corrosion.
If you open those, water (and whatever else) will go between the outer skin and inner skin and just rot the car out from the inside.

I would have an airbrush artist just add some low lights (a color slightly darker than the color of your car) to that area; to give that area some depth and interest.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:29 PM

Quick Reply: Camaro "thoughts" at Portland.....