2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro "thoughts" at Portland.....

Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Camaro "thoughts" at Portland.....

Soooooooooooo.........

As you walk down the main aisle at the Portland Autoshow -- you notice a large group of people (at least this past evening.....) on the left side of the aisle.....

To the right, you'll see a Blue 2010 Mustang Convertible on a platform -- facing the aisle...........

...............and the emergency flashers are on...............(I'm serious -- they're flashing away....)

Directly across the aisle, you suddenly realize WHY the emergency flashers are on -- --

...........because there is:

>A ZR1
>A Z06
>two Corvette Convertibles
>and a Camaro LS

...........glaring at the Mustang --

.....................with a very HUNGRY look on their 'faces'

(.........if you were the Mustang, wouldn't YOU have your emergency flashers on as well???????..........)

Now -- I'm watching this with a 'small smile'

(......ok.........a smirk.....so sue me......)

.....as I realize there is a Product Presenter on the platform talking about the Mustang................

............and there is a grand total of 4 people listening to him.................

.........................the Camaro is surrounded by people -- this, a base LS.............

......................and a bunch of people are drooling over the ZR1.....and they're getting in and out of the Convertibles.................

.......and there are still only four people across the aisle.............

OK - I'm prejudiced..................

.........but I just had to share this with you -- my friends and 'faith keepers'

The future, indeed, looks bright!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

I have some pictures I need to post from NAIAS... the story is pretty much the same. Sorry you couldn't be there, Scott!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 AM

Pics or it didn't happen.

You've painted a nice picture in head, though.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 AM

Awesome! I will be interested to see how those lamps hold up for multiple days of flashing. That is actually a pretty harsh test.

-Geoff
Old 02-06-2009, 11:01 AM

Ok Mustang nut swingers, what say you?????
Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 PM

hahaha. great story. i would have loved to see that. i hope its set up the same way at the cleveland auto show.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by km9v
Pics or it didn't happen.

You've painted a nice picture in head, though.
I'll attempt to oblige you with a general idea of the scene later tonight. I got some images.

Fbodfather,

Were you a representative for Chevy here? Wish I knew you were there I would have chatted you up a bit.

This LS is a pre-production car correct? I was a little disappointed that it was such a stripped down model with those terrible stamped steel wheels. Though I must say that I was thrilled to finally see one in person.

On any model are the 3 gills on the rear fenders going to be cut out? Those little ridges were my only complaint (aside from the wheels) after seeing the car in person for the first time.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
Not a nut swinger of any brand, but OK, I'll take the bait.

How much money has Camaro put into GM coffers the past 6 years, again????

Put a ZR1, Z06, 2 Corvette convertibles, and a car that's not even on the streets together, and give the public access to it.... including the ability to get inside the cars versus a accessable, relatively cheap Mustang GT that will no doubt start showing up everywhere in a matter of weeks, it's silly to think the crowd is going to form around the Mustang.

The ZR1 had a large crowd around at both major auto shows I've attended that the public had access to next to the Mustang. I doubt there's anyone with room tempreature IQ expecting that $100,000 2 seater to outsell the Mustang.

(I like the new Camaro....but I couldn't resist )
Old 02-06-2009, 02:36 PM

Realized this week that there is a Pre-production 5th Gen in Portland. Now I'm contemplating making the drive down from Seattle this weekend in order to finally lay eyes on something other than the Bumble Bee GTO. We can get in and out of this car and have pretty much full access to it correct?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Northwest94Z
Realized this week that there is a Pre-production 5th Gen in Portland. Now I'm contemplating making the drive down from Seattle this weekend in order to finally lay eyes on something other than the Bumble Bee GTO. We can get in and out of this car and have pretty much full access to it correct?
I don't think you can open the trunk or the hood, but you can get in and out. In Detroit, the cars had batteries connected, so you could move the seat and stuff too.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
I saw no need to reply to this thread...but since you asked.....

. . . . * * * * Y A W N * * * * . . . .

(not that I'm a Mustang nut swinger)
Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM

There was a new Mustang at the St. Louis show, too. It was on a rotating table with one directional on. It was on for a reason. To show off the sequential taillights.
Do the hazards flash sequentially, too? If they do, that's probably why they were on.

I would still buy a Camaro WAY before I bought a Mustang, but Ford did a pretty good job with this refresh.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I don't think you can open the trunk or the hood, but you can get in and out. In Detroit, the cars had batteries connected, so you could move the seat and stuff too.
Full access to the entire car including engine bay/trunk. Has one of the stock v6's/m6 tranny in it and the trunk latch is actually taped so you can't latch it fully.

To me the car still looked a little "rough" around the edges. I bet the actual production models are a little more refined. I will post some images after work tonight (with links to full sized images).
Old 02-06-2009, 11:15 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by guionM
Not a nut swinger of any brand, but OK, I'll take the bait.

How much money has Camaro put into GM coffers the past 6 years, again????

Put a ZR1, Z06, 2 Corvette convertibles, and a car that's not even on the streets together, and give the public access to it.... including the ability to get inside the cars versus a accessable, relatively cheap Mustang GT that will no doubt start showing up everywhere in a matter of weeks, it's silly to think the crowd is going to form around the Mustang.

The ZR1 had a large crowd around at both major auto shows I've attended that the public had access to next to the Mustang. I doubt there's anyone with room tempreature IQ expecting that $100,000 2 seater to outsell the Mustang.

(I like the new Camaro....but I couldn't resist )

Well.........hey.......mebbe you could swing by and pick up Bob and then the Mustang would have SIX people standing around it!!!

Silly me -- and here I thought I was on CAMAROZ28.COM!!!!

Last edited by Fbodfather; 02-06-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by IanZ28
I'll attempt to oblige you with a general idea of the scene later tonight. I got some images.

Fbodfather,

Were you a representative for Chevy here? Wish I knew you were there I would have chatted you up a bit.

This LS is a pre-production car correct? I was a little disappointed that it was such a stripped down model with those terrible stamped steel wheels. Though I must say that I was thrilled to finally see one in person.

On any model are the 3 gills on the rear fenders going to be cut out? Those little ridges were my only complaint (aside from the wheels) after seeing the car in person for the first time.

I flew out to ensure that the Chevy/Cadillac/Hummer/Saab displays were set up and that everything was working -- and to do TV interviews for GM. (flew back home today...)

The Camaro at Portland is a base V6 (LS) with zero options. (still has a lot of standard stuff..)

There are not a lot of cars out there yet -- and only a handful of cars with final graining on the interior -

........in fact, Portland is only the 3rd show as of last Monday to have a Camaro with a grained interior where consumers can get in and out of it.

I had a choice of sending a loaded SS/RS to display behind barrier -- or the base LS where people could get in and out.......

I chose "get in and out" --

"Gills" will not be cut out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camaro "thoughts" at Portland.....