2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro Safety & Crash Testing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 AM

How bout them crash standards? .....
Old 01-08-2009, 10:59 AM

they arent out yet.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 PM

I'm with JakeRobb; I don't get it either. Currently I'm driving the hell outta an 2004 Impala SS (had to get a commuter car, its actually not bad) and the fiance has an '01 Cavalier. She'll get the Impala as soon as the Camaro is delivered. I've thought about keeping and driving the Cav. in the winter, but how do you go from a Camaro to a Cavalier? HOW?

To each his own however, if that's what you like, by all means do it.

As for safety, I will always buy Chevy. I quite literally owe my life to those engineers. A Jeep forced me off the road, 4 barrel rolls later I walked away.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 PM

i went from my 99 trans am to a 88 beretta in the winter. then eventually saved up and got a tahoe as my winter beater.

well for one its about keeping the car nice. and if you live in an area where it snows then we all know rwd cars are the worst in the snow. and if you have a second or third car why not drive it to keep the car, that weve all waited for son long, nice looking? i dont see a point in driving a car all year round if you have others you can do. you may think my thinking is odd but i think its even more weird that you would drive this car in the winter. i would never take a car ,that i cherished so much, out into the snow and ice and salt. thats just rediculous. maybe someone should tell Ralph Lauren to getthose cars out of his museum and start driving them in the winter.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Beowulf80
I'm with JakeRobb; I don't get it either. Currently I'm driving the hell outta an 2004 Impala SS (had to get a commuter car, its actually not bad) and the fiance has an '01 Cavalier. She'll get the Impala as soon as the Camaro is delivered. I've thought about keeping and driving the Cav. in the winter, but how do you go from a Camaro to a Cavalier? HOW?
Probably easier than going from C6 Z06 to a 160 HP 6 banger Firebird.

Tell you what though. Every time I get in the Vette it feels special. Every time. Even when I get in the 2001 SS it feels special. Different than the Z06 but special none the less. I expect that feeling to continue for the next 30-40 maybe 50 years. The best part is those cars will be as nice then as they are today.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:37 PM

I live in Illinois, plenty of snow and ice, not nearly enough salt. We spent all that money on corroption.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 PM

well theres a salt shortage in ohio too. i know cleveland and akron have tried to cut down on how much they use because of the shortage.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Beowulf80
I live in Illinois, plenty of snow and ice, not nearly enough salt. We spent all that money on corroption.
Tell me about it. For as much money as we pay for Tolls they should have employees holding umbrella's over the road and blow drying it.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
I sold my 2002 Camaro SS with 5,600 miles on it...in the fall of 2006.

I got flack for it as well, but the same people who gave me a hard time about it must do it out of jealously because they inevitably also told me how awesome the car was, including the condition.

My car, my money, my problem. Jake, you of all people should know where some of the "low-mileage" guys come from after all the discussions we had about it.

I don't know if I will drive the 2010 that little though...I doubt it.
Hey man, I'm a sympathetic soul. My '89 IROC-Z has 10,xxx miles on it. And about 1/3 of those miles were put on the first summer I got it -19.5 years ago.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:27 AM

Except for a 2.5 year experiment with a Grand Vitara, I've driven a '98 and then '02 Camaro year-round for 10.5 years now. Even during the Grand Vitara experiment, the Camaro got driven fairly frequently. The GV was a lot easier to get into and out of in tight parking spaces, and I didn't have to worry about scraping driveways, but once you're on the road, it's no contest

The power and handling of the Camaro are something I'd hate to give up in daily driving, so I'd never want to change to a truck or FWD car. For that matter, if and when I get a G8, it'll have to be the GT model.

I do occasionally drive one of my old Cutlasses, but that doesn't count.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
How bout them crash standards? .....
With all the airbags and the amount of steel in the car, the Camaro should get 5 stars all around.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Tell us more about them...
Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Except for a 2.5 year experiment with a Grand Vitara, I've driven a '98 and then '02 Camaro year-round for 10.5 years now. Even during the Grand Vitara experiment, the Camaro got driven fairly frequently. The GV was a lot easier to get into and out of in tight parking spaces, and I didn't have to worry about scraping driveways, but once you're on the road, it's no contest

The power and handling of the Camaro are something I'd hate to give up in daily driving, so I'd never want to change to a truck or FWD car. For that matter, if and when I get a G8, it'll have to be the GT model.

its not even a comparisson about switching the cars for the season. because there is no comparison between any winter car and the summer car. the point is about having the other car to use so your not racking thousands of miles on a brand new car just because you say, "im not gonna let it sit,i wanna drive it!" we all wanna drive it. but some of these people are just drving nuts.and not just driving it through a car wash in the winter becasue its covered in salt and mud. its all about the care of the car. yeah i wanna take my car around the track at MID OHIO. and ill get my time to beat it up and get my moneys worth. but winter isnt the right time to just take a rwd car< when you have other vehicles>, to go joyriding around town.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Tell us more about them...
  • 1970 Cutlass Supreme sedan -- I really need to sell that one, because I don't have a good place to park it
  • 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible
  • 1971 442 [not W30]

The Cutlasses have the Rocket 350 with 4 bbl. The 442 has the standard 455 for 1971. 340 gross and 270 net hp, according to documents from the day.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
its not even a comparisson about switching the cars for the season. because there is no comparison between any winter car and the summer car. the point is about having the other car to use so your not racking thousands of miles on a brand new car just because you say, "im not gonna let it sit,i wanna drive it!" we all wanna drive it. but some of these people are just drving nuts.and not just driving it through a car wash in the winter becasue its covered in salt and mud. its all about the care of the car. yeah i wanna take my car around the track at MID OHIO. and ill get my time to beat it up and get my moneys worth. but winter isnt the right time to just take a rwd car< when you have other vehicles>, to go joyriding around town.
Winter car? Interesting concept. We don't have winter cars around here

Though I really need to replace the weatherstripping on my '70 Cutlass, so that it doesn't accumulate water when it rains in the winter.

Quick Reply: Camaro Safety & Crash Testing...