2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro Safety & Crash Testing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Camaro Safety & Crash Testing...

Has anyone seen any info on this yet? When do new cars typically get crash tested? I would imagine that would need to happen before they are released to the public.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:22 PM

well duh! sorry couldnt resist.
no we havent seen anything on crash testing yet.
you worried about getting in a wreck?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM

Its always a possiblily... unless you are planing on having the car towed home & never letting it leave your garage. It would be nice to see how well they hold up. Im sure it will do fine, but crash tests are cool to watch! haha
Old 01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Admin Emeritus

There is zero safety compromise with the new Camaro, that was made very clear to me. Among other obvious and not so obvious reasons, the safer the car, the more affordable insurance is, the more cars get sold because the car is more affordable overall.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 PM

im not even driving mine off the lot its getting put on a trailer till i get home then it goes straight into mtx for the custom install n the only time i will drive it is 2 the car show in my town n thats it
Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mark B
Has anyone seen any info on this yet? When do new cars typically get crash tested? I would imagine that would need to happen before they are released to the public.
I get the idea that you believe crash testing is one of the final stages before a car is released to the public.

It isn't.

They typically get crash tested by computer nowadays before they even hammer the 1st piece of mule or prototype metal. With that as a basis, you could say that the Camaro was crash tested shortly after the concept version of it was unveiled at Detroit almost 3 years ago. Going by another standard, one could also say it was crash tested back in 2003 or 2004 when Holden actually ran the 1st Commodore (the vehicle the Camaro is based on) into that barrier in Australia.

Tests need to be done early enough in the process to make any necessary structural changes. Today, with everything done on computer, to a large degree physical crash testing is almost...almost... unnecessary.

If PacerX still posts on here he's the resident expert on this, but I haven't heard from him in awhile.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by prophet33
im not even driving mine off the lot its getting put on a trailer till i get home then it goes straight into mtx for the custom install n the only time i will drive it is 2 the car show in my town n thats it
You are kidding, right?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 PM

Didn't they say at the Indy event that the Camaro will have a 5 star crash rating??
Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 AM

I am sure that the 5th gen will be better as far as crashes go than the 4th gen and the 4th gen was good.

Long story short...

I was in a wreck with my 2000 SS in December of 2000. Both airbags popped and the front end compacted EXACTLY as it was designed to. My wife and I walked away without even a scratch. The car sustained $13k worth of damage. My hats off to the engineers at Chevrolet since they saved our lives.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 AM

im not driving mine home. depending on the weather here. it will probably still be snowing and have crazy salt on the road. if this is the case im having a flat bed pick it up and drop it off at my house. ill get it out when spring comes around. no need to take a brand new car and start the rusting process right off the bat. my camaro will never see snow or salt. hopefully never rain.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by prophet33
n the only time i will drive it is 2 the car show in my town n thats it
The ONLY time you are going to drive it is to the car show in your town??
Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 AM

hey you cant hate him for that. he wants to keep the car looking good. i dont plan on using mine for every day use. mine is basically going to be a weekend car, and days off.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
i dont plan on using mine for every day use. mine is basically going to be a weekend car, and days off.
Diddo
Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
The ONLY time you are going to drive it is to the car show in your town??
What's the problem with that?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
There is zero safety compromise with the new Camaro, that was made very clear to me. Among other obvious and not so obvious reasons, the safer the car, the more affordable insurance is, the more cars get sold because the car is more affordable overall.
I would expect nothing less than a 5-star rating. The Camaro is a new design that incorporates all the latest mandates regarding hood and cowl height, height of doors, airbag requirements, side-impact requirements, etc. I have no doubt that Chevrolet/GM has engineered this car to be an absolute tank.

I was kind of hoping for a safety explosion with the Camaro and an offering of all the new airbag setups like rear side thorax, knee bags, etc. Some of those options are making it into the $20k-$30k market, and as Jason stated, the goal is to make the car attractive from an overall cost standpoint. I can see why they were left out, but the car comes with so many other neat options I kinda wish they were available. I'm excited nonetheless...

Quick Reply: Camaro Safety & Crash Testing...