2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro popularity idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Camaro popularity idea

Hi Scott and fellow Camaro friends. For the past few days I've been thinking of a way that GM could keep the intrest way up for the new Camaro until it comes out a year or so from now. What I basicly thought up is this. I live in Detroit and next to I-75 there are a few billboard adds for the new ford Edge with a full scale foam edge on top of the sign. I got to thinking based off of this idea of how this idea could work for the Camaro. I was thinking what if GM ordered say 30-40 of these mock-up type Camaros made of foam. This would be a reproduction of the body only, not chassis. Keep in mind these look real as heck , they're painted and have trim etc...but there fake. With these foam Camaros GM could place these along with a GM tent highlighting the makers acheivements like the car and truck of the year. The Camaros could wear bright colors such as Yellow,Orange and Red. They would be placed at Specific areas to guage the publics attention such as NFL stadiums,NBA and MLB stadiums. Not to mention where ever GM races like the tracks for the ALMS races, Nascar and NHRA events. The main point being that fans will notice the Camaro even more and actually experience it in person to some degree. Another thing being that since these are only foam with a paint job, clear coat and window trim with a set of wheels/tires the Competition I.E. FORD, Chrsysler etc.. would still have no idea what powertrain, chassis or suspension details the production car will have. Anyhow just a thought have a great Easter.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:09 PM

I really like that idea
Old 04-09-2007, 06:35 AM

yeah i do to, i think a great place to put one would be my driveway
Old 04-09-2007, 07:02 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

good idea, but it would be cost prohibitive. they may be made of foam, but they're not cheap.

plus... they'd have to be put in "glass cases" or something protective, because they are FOAM... so any yahoo could stick a pen, stick, whatever, into one.

We're still at least 18 months away... Transformers will generate a ton of buzz this summer, and the obligatory onslaught of toys will be available come the 2007 holiday season.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:53 AM

I think some people would want to steal them, also - after all Camaro is WAY more popular and appealing than the Ford edge.

It is a COOL idea though!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
I think some people would want to steal them, also - after all Camaro is WAY more popular and appealing than the Ford edge.

It is a COOL idea though!
It is a really cool idea.... and I think that they could work with that idea and come up with some very cool marketing programs!

As for the EDGE... I hate the marketing surrounding that car. I vote that retarded commercial that shows it literally driving on the side of a skyscraper as the stupidest, most rediculous ad ever... I think their marketing creativity really reveals something about the company in general. (sorry.... rant over!)
Old 04-09-2007, 10:08 AM

Sounds like a cool idea ... get the car out there, public exposure!

When it comes to marketing ideas, something Ford HAS done (which I like) is their big slogan "Built for life in _______ " (<-- insert "Toronto", "Ontario", "Canada", etc.). One of the cars that always stood out for me was "the Ford Mustang ... built for life in Toronto". Come again? Mustang? City??! But who cares! That's what people need to hear ... that a car is "suitable" for their daily needs, whether that's commuting, grocery getting, whatever!

While we can't steal that line and say the Camaro is "built for life in _____", we still need to push it's DAILY useability and driveability ..... make comparisons to EVERY 4-banger and 6-cylinder that it rivals in fuel economy! Since "gas guzzling" is the MAJOR drawback to any muscle car, BRAG how GREAT it is!! Hell, paint all those foam display cars green!! Let the world know that you can get a crap load of performance, and still get better mileage than a Toyota Corolla, or whatever!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Hell, paint all those foam display cars green!! Let the world know that you can get a crap load of performance, and still get better mileage than a Toyota Corolla, or whatever!
I think this is a VERY good point, and I really liked how they played withthat idea awhile back by showing all of the cars they offer that get over 30mpg, then they cut to the Z06 and say "here is one that doesn't... but it still gets 26mpg highway and has 505 HP"

I think that most people still associate high horsepower with low fuel sconomy, which isn't necessarily the case anymore. If the Camaro is able to producr 400+HP and get over 30MPG, then they need to exploite that BIG TIME!