2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Build Your 2009 Camaro thread II (Prices Included)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:15 AM

Re: Build Your 2009 Camaro thread II (Prices Included)

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
If you have further question, direct them towards Stars, he will be more than happy to answer them
I’ve really been trying to stop smoking.....this site isn’t helping
Old 05-04-2006, 12:32 AM

AZZKKER - have you ever driven a car with tires those widths? 245's are FINE for the front. You dont need super wide tires - all they do is make the car ride wierd and mess up the steering feel for the average user. 315's in the back would be more than enough. Before you say otherwise - wider rear tires also "mess up the ride", decrease fuel economy, and cost more. If people want wider tires and different wheels, let em replace em and get what they want. No ned to bump the price another $1000. With a good Traction Control system there shouldnt be much of an issue. And above 500hp, you're going to light up tires. Thats how it goes. And if you're lighting up 315's on the street several times a day (cause you're driving it that rough and showing off) you deserve to go through tires that quickly! Also super wide wheels mean more suspension and body clearance, and deeper wheel wells mean less interior room. There is no logic in re-doing the floorpan for one model, again, even on the "super top dog model" price is going to be key.

The LS3 and LS9 are (in theory) the same block, but it will about there. You cant just slap a supercharger on an LS3 "and be done with it". Sure you could, but there are other things that need to be done - and that'd void the warranty anyway. A 6.2L (ish) small block will be more than enough even in N/A form you're looking at 440-450hp when all is said and done. Foring the internals is like building an LS1 with forged internals. It will handle years of abuse and make a crap load of power. Personally I'd rather have a boosted 6.2L than a 7L N/A. Espicially as if GM makes a "stage 1 and stage 2" set of mods for it, you could mod the car and not kill the warranty, which is big for some of us here.

Now on the LS7 dept, the engine will never really see use in anything other than a vette or a limited "Special edition" something. The engine is just too expensive, and making a "Wet sump" version with features pulled out of it is like going to the zoo to look at Lions that are missing half their teeth. They can still kick the crap out of a zebra, but not as impressive, and thusly - you wouldnt want to go see them knowing they were like that. You WONT see larger displacement than 7L. 7L is a huge engine and fuel economy is becoming a bigger issue (espicially with the new CAFE ratings coming up). Fuel economy is a bigger concern than power now to some, so direct injection, DoD and the like are first to come into play, but remember that Direct Injection also allows lean burn and more precise A/F control - so you will see more power in the end AND more fuel economy.

On the Audio system, I see no concern for aftermarket. I'm assuming a sat-nav system will be optioned for the car, but dont even bother considering it. Cause you shouldnt get it. Its not legal to be in the front, so why would GM put it in there? On the climate controls to the stereo thing, I think its annoying, but if thats how it is, than thats how it is. Own one of the newer Mazdas? Cant do much to a lot of em. All these jacks for aftermarket? Not a chance they'll give em to you. That'd mean they'd give all the cars that, and that adds cost. I made my stock head unit work with amplifiers, and if I wanted to on a new car I'd do it again. Its not hard and there are products out there that splice it all for you.

Otherwise, I think the prices and such for the point of the thread look great! I'm just really hoping when the car finally comes out, that the "270ish hp" v6 gets a 6spd. Honestly I'd bet that would make a new v6 as fast as a L98 5spd from 0-60 and from 0-120. Its just a guess, but thats a suprisingly good amount of power, and a good 6 speed would really make it fun.

Not to say that 275hp is enough, but for most people thats plenty of get up and go for a mere "base model".
Old 05-04-2006, 01:38 AM

If GM put those crazy prices on a Camaro. The Camaro would be gone from the Chevy line for good.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by downwithmustang
If GM put those crazy prices on a Camaro. The Camaro would be gone from the Chevy line for good.

Please enlighten us...apparently you have done more research then me.....
Old 05-04-2006, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Interesting...

I think the BIG brakes, coolers, etc., should be a standard part of the Z/28 package.

And I'd also prefer a high compression, NA, smallblock....(in a very nasty state of tune of course ) than a heavier, more complex, SC'd motor.
My thoughts exactly. Supercharger adds weight and stress that didnt need to be there... I thought it was lame when the GT and Shelby did it. Any engine is a canidate Im assuming means any engine. While I understand that price includes more than the motor it LS9 at that price leaves a little to be desired. LS7 was a must have. There wasnt anything it shared with LS2

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 05-04-2006 at 02:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
If you have further question, direct them towards Stars, he will be more than happy to answer them
I wont push it too much. Any motor in the arsonal includes the LS7 replacement bluedevil or not. Its already going to be a limited car. It needs the top motor which is LS7 replacement the way the ZL-1's had, both 1st gen and 4th...
Old 05-04-2006, 02:57 AM

And I'd also prefer a high compression, NA, smallblock....(in a very nasty state of tune of course ) than a heavier, more complex, SC'd motor.

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
You WONT see larger displacement than 7L. 7L is a huge engine and fuel economy is becoming a bigger issue (espicially with the new CAFE ratings coming up)
I don't know if you mean that we won't see bigger than 7L engines in general, or period, but the new Viper engine is supposed to be pushing 8.4L. I don't see why GM couldn't use a bigger motor if they wanted to in something with a limited production run, although this in no way is me trying to imply that I believe they will.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
I wont push it too much. Any motor in the arsonal includes the LS7 replacement bluedevil or not. Its already going to be a limited car. It needs the top motor which is LS7 replacement the way the ZL-1's had, both 1st gen and 4th...
I think it would be pretty interesting if the Blue Devil Corvette actually ended up being called a ZL1 Corvette, and an extremely limited super Camaro trim going by ZL1 also came to the table, both cars sharing the LS7 replacement motor. Just a thought. Sounds like a neat idea at 4 in the morning. Maybe it will sound different after I sleep on it.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:45 AM

Seems you forgot the RS V8 car...hmm...no problem heres mine

Base V6 Camaro
MSRP* $ 25,750.00 (base price) to $ 31,575

5.3L OHV V8 with DOD and VVT
330hp@5700rpm
345lbs-ft @ 4000 rpm

6 speed manual
3.42 limited skip
AM/FM CD stereo w/ optional pioneer speakers and sub woofer
Pace blue
17" wheels
Old 05-04-2006, 07:53 AM

Interesting...

I think the BIG brakes, coolers, etc., should be a standard part of the Z/28 package.

If I could get bigger brakes, dry sump, and a 500-525 hp motor for about $40k-$42k it'd be insanely tempting.

Given the list of options above:
Z/28
premium package
larger wheels and the sunroof (although a sunroof is about 1/100000000000th of the fun of a targa or t-tops).

I wouldn't be upset if the Z/28 had a hard-top only option like the Z06 though.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
I don't see why GM couldn't use a bigger motor if they wanted to in something with a limited production run, although this in no way is me trying to imply that I believe they will.
There is nothing saying they cant really, but of the us big 3, GM has fuel economy down by far for the higher end sports cars. For its output the LS7 now really gets the job done and still manages to pass emissions - but with ever tightening emissions standards and the govt wanting higher fuel economy, high strung huge displacement NA motors arent going to improve your stats.

The Viper engine is really friggin huge. I'll agree to that.

But what would GM need with an engine with a displacement over 7L? 7L is plenty large enough and they can get power by other means. Theres also the problem that again, even a super-limited-edition-top-of-the-line Camaro needs to be affordable, not JUST some collectors item. For that you need an engine thats used in some form in other cars, which screams LS9 when it comes out. We dont know whats going on with blue devil, but its been said that we probably wont see bigger (displacement) engines.

FWIW If they use the ZL1 plaque on a Camaro it should get a 427 IMHO - which means a LS7. I wouldnt be opposed to that. But if its an "ulta super sport" by any other name, give me an LS9.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by downwithmustang
Yep, and the Mustang and Charger are not selling at ALL!

Take a look at a Cobalt SS if you want cheap performance.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:33 AM

My understanding was the LS9 was to be the Z06 motor as well. The idea being that it would basically be a tuned supercharged 6.2L LS3 and would be cheaper to manufacture than the handbuilt LS7. Has something changed? What ever happened to the LS8?

You know I could live without the convertible, but I think the 6-speed auto with paddle shift would be fun.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:48 PM

Well, my outlaws are huge MUSTANG fans and they curently have 12 of them ranging from a 1965 to a 2005 GT and He has a 07 Shelby on order.I AM going to buy a new Camaro, but do you think the Z28 will have enough to shut the Shelby down? Or do I have to wait for the 7.0?

There is no way I can live with myself if my new Camaro can't destroy that Shelby. I know it's a tall order, but I hope the Z is up to the challenge.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:21 PM

The Shelby is a limited build Mustang.. Its going to be insane.

Honestly, the official word of the Camaro having a green light isn't even out yet. (although all things point to yes).. Let alone having a super wild 7.0L engine (which is based all on Lutz just saying that GM has a 7.0L engine in its partsbin)

Also, on tire width.. The next gen Camaro better be able to fit wide tire all around with no troubles. The 4th gen's can fit 315's all around, without doing anything major. These big heavy powerful cars are going to need all the rubber they can pack on the track.

Quick Reply: Build Your 2009 Camaro thread II (Prices Included)