2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Bob Lutz denies Production Camaro will be bigger than concept

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:14 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by Mjolnir
So... there's a production car ready?
Unknown. No one has gone on record from GM.

Could be be they did a mockup of the production version at the Tech Center, and that's what Lutz saw.

As far as sooner than 12/08? I believe the holdup will be more in converting Oshawa as opposed to design/engineering.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisL

Could be be they did a mockup of the production version at the Tech Center, and that's what Lutz saw.

As far as sooner than 12/08? I believe the holdup will be more in converting Oshawa as opposed to design/engineering.
Didn't Ed Pepers say in the podtech interview that he can't tell a difference between the production and concept Camaros? I tried to watch the clip again, but it says it is no longer available on podtech....

I know for a fact that the interior is not ready for production. However, I wouldn't be suprised if they pretty much have the exterior ready to go.....
Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Note the D.O.B. - link -

..... daddy???

Well seeing that I was a sophomore in high school at the time... I seriously doubt it.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by Casull
Didn't Ed Pepers say in the podtech interview that he can't tell a difference between the production and concept Camaros?
Yes he did... and if folks have been paying attention to the credible information already out there, this has been the message all along. The prodcution car will be very close to the concept.

Fbodfather added his comments to Charlie's post on my board... which generated a similar reaction from some there too.

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Charlie -- calm down.
It's not a case of you not being allowed to voice your opinion. Everyones' opinions count.
I think what people are saying is 'just calm down -- you may very well be pleasantly surprised.'
Yes -- we want to keep you happy --- but I want to keep everyone happy -- and I think that you are in the minority of those concerned about the length issue.
The bottom line is there is substantially more MIS-information out there than there is good information.
Remember --we've called Jenny Craig!

Last edited by ChrisL; 02-27-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:55 AM

So... there's a production car ready? Does this mean they can start stamping body panels and putting cars together? Are we really going to have to wait until Dec 08 to buy one?

Agreed ... as of yet, I haven't heard of much going on inside the plant yet. We've got a couple guys who can (hopefully) keep us posted of any changes going on inside, but I agree ... if the car is going to be out earlier than *officially* announced, the change in the plant has to start SOON!!

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Well seeing that I was a sophomore in high school at the time... I seriously doubt it.
Hey, strange things happen!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:05 AM

Fbodfather added his comments to Charlie's post on my board... which generated a similar reaction from some there too.
Originally Posted by Fbodfather
The bottom line is there is substantially more MIS-information out there than there is good information.
You know what's funny ... Scott's right! As much as there are lots of things that we DO know about the Concept/Camaro, there are still LOTS of un-knowns! For all the "insider info", "hints", "winks" and all the rest we get, I'm sure we've got a good "guess" what the end result is going to be. BUT, there sure are a lot of important, key pieces of info that we still DO NOT KNOW . I'm almost surprised, and/or impressed that they've managed to keep the details under wraps so well?! I mean, wouldn't we all love to know how much the production concept REALLY weighs?? Or what the OFFICIAL plan is on engines? (how many variations and HP??) ..... and the most important, which car will be the "top dog"?!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Yes he did... and if folks have been paying attention to the credible information already out there, this has been the message all along. The prodcution car will be very close to the concept.

Right, but what I was getting at is that the exterior portion of the production version of the 5th gen is ready or very very close to being ready then... But I know for sure the interior is not...

That does bring up an interesting point though. If the exterior is indeed done or close to being done, and this car is still approx 1.5 - 2 yrs away, I wonder how long they will be able to keep the lid on it before spy pictures are leaked.... that is an aweful long time to keep the vultures away....
Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I don't like the door handles - they're too heavy. I'm not buying it.

Bob
OOOF!

Originally Posted by jg95z28
"the sky is falling!!! ... the sky is falling!!! ..."

Uh... nevermind."

We now return you to your regularly scheduled daily post on Camaro diecasts...

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Whew, Charlie...now you can put the nitro pills away, and turn off the oxygen machine.
Yet another Camaro crisis averted. Thanks Interweb!
Should we invest in a defribulator for the next crisis?

So... there's a production car ready? Does this mean they can start stamping body panels and putting cars together? Are we really going to have to wait until Dec 08 to buy one?
Sure.

Just one question.

Where ya going to make them?

Or yet another question.... where's the money to set everything up??

Hints:
1. Oshawa #1 & #2 needs time to finish the run out of Grand Prixs and Monte Carlos.
2. Oshawa #1 needs to convert over to producing Lacrosses on Impala's assembly line.
3. Oshawa #2 needs to be set up and gutted, then completely redone.
4. Oshawa # 2 needs to have it's "flex" assembly line set up.
5. GM's income over the next few years (mostly from the new GMT900 trucks,and new upcoming crossovers) is going to finance all this.
6. Designing and engineering a car in this age is often quicker than the coordination, financing, and extensive durability testing needed to get the vehicle to market.
7. Interiors are the last thing that's finalized.

Last edited by guionM; 02-27-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V
I guess we're getting different door handles, then
that is what you are concerned about?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
that is what you are concerned about?
I'm not worried about it per se, but I am a little disappointed because the ones on the concept were SO cool.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
No way Al. I keep all of that crap on "ready alert".
Ahahaha... you never know what will happen next? Id hate to see something tragic happen like...oh, the wheel base shrinking to 100 inches!!

Originally Posted by guionM
Should we invest in a defribulator for the next crisis?
If the above happens...we might need more then that.

The door handles are pretty cool. Brings up another question, maybe for another section of the board...but what about the side glass "indexing" when you open the door? It does on the Corvette and the Mustang.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
The door handles are pretty cool. Brings up another question, maybe for another section of the board...but what about the side glass "indexing" when you open the door? It does on the Corvette and the Mustang.
Ok, I gotta ask. What does 'indexing' mean?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by EllwynX
When you push a button or use the door handle, before the door will open, The glass drops out of an inverted channel at the top to then allow the door to open. The when the door is closed, it moves back up into place. It only has to move a fraction of an inch, but it makes a better seal that way than the way late model f-bodies are, for example.

Make sense?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
When you push a button or use the door handle, before the door will open, The glass drops out of an inverted channel at the top to then allow the door to open. The when the door is closed, it moves back up into place. It only has to move a fraction of an inch, but it makes a better seal that way than the way late model f-bodies are, for example.

Make sense?
I think so.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
Glad you asked and not me!!

Originally Posted by JasonD
Make sense?
I wondered, but wasn't sure if that's what "indexing" was. I know exactly what that feature is ... a guy at work has a BMW that does exactly that. I thought it was a neat feature ... would be nice to see on the 5th-gen .

Basically, for those who don't quite understand, the window rolls up say, ~1/4 inch "higher" into the frame/seal around it. But if you tried to open the door, the window (being so far into the seal) would prevent the door from opening. SO, when you grab the handle, the window rolls down about ~1/4", out of the frame, and you can open the door. When you close it, then the window rolls up that extra ~1/4" and seals very well (which would stop how water can otherwise get in past the window seals on all 1st-4th Gen F-bodies ).

Great feature ... hope we get it!

Quick Reply: Bob Lutz denies Production Camaro will be bigger than concept