2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Announcing CamaroBuilder 2.0!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Announcing CamaroBuilder 2.0!

I'm proud to announce the release of version 2.0 of the CamaroZ28.com CamaroBuilder.

First and foremost, it's the same address as before. Better yet, your old saved configuration links will still work.

https://www.camaroz28.com/camarobuilder/

New Features
1. Improved user interface with less scrolling.

2. Added images and standard equipment breakdowns in a popup window (hover your mouse over any item name that appears in blue)

3. Added a dynamic feature list based on your configuration choices -- it's not just the standard equipment list!

4. On the aforementioned dynamic feature list, we show a picture of the car you've configured. We don't have very many images yet, but when you select something we do have, that's what you'll see. For example, if you select a black SS with silver stripes and the 21" black-finish wheels, you'll see a picture of that very thing!

5. Added invoice and employee pricing.

6. Added a sales tax calculator. It defaults to 6%, which is the sales tax in Michigan, where I live. If you change it, the page will store a cookie and it will remember your setting for 90 days.

7. Added GMPP upgrades and accessories (pricing needed!)

In addition, alll of the known bugs from the first version have been fixed. I think everyone will find the new version more usable, more user-friendly, and far more informative.

Some remaining questions and requests:
1. Is pricing available for any of the items on the Accessories list?

2. What are the RPO codes for any of the following?
- Summit White exterior paint
- Aisin AY6 manual transmission
- 18" steel wheel
- 18" aluminum wheel
- 20" painted silver wheel
- 20" midnight silver wheel
- GMPP shorty headers
- GMPP catback exhaust
- GMPP air intake
- Fuel door
- Heritage-inspired grille insert
- Molded Splash Guards
- Interior Trim Kit
- Trunk-mounted subwoofer

3. If RPO codes are available for anything else that applies to this car, I'd like to use the data I've already put together to build an RPO code database. If anyone could provide me with the data, I could get started on that.

4. Along the same lines, I'd like to put together a VIN decoder. Any information to help with that would be much appreciated as well.

5. If anyone has royalty-free pictures of options, features, or configurations that do not currently have pictures, please send them to me or Jason and we'll make sure to get them added. Most of the pictures we have today were done in PhotoShop and aren't necessarily accurate representations of the real thing (for example, I'm pretty sure that the Imperial Blue image is a bit off). Until real-life images become more readily available, keep those Photoshops coming!

Feedback is appreciated!
I'd like to make CamaroBuilder the best that it can be. I'm really happy with it as it is, but I'm sure that I've overlooked something. Your suggestions and feedback are welcome!

Last edited by JakeRobb; 10-28-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:59 PM

Cool so I'm a bit over $39,000. But with the CDN rape north of the border this car will be $50,000+ for me.

Pop up windows could/should be a bit bigger so you don't have to scroll to read the entire info. Just a suggestion.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb

5. Added invoice and dealer pricing.
Should this be invoice and GMS? On the site it says employee price, not sure what "dealer" pricing is.

Only other minor thing I see is that when you're done, it gives you a vehicle subtotal, then the sales tax amount, then a Total. Then below that, it says +tax, title, license, and fees. Is there another tax that you guys in MI have to pay?

Last edited by CLEAN; 10-28-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
Cool so I'm a bit over $39,000. But with the CDN rape north of the border this car will be $50,000+ for me.
I heard some rumors that canadian pricing will be more fair for this car. Here's hoping it's true!

Pop up windows could/should be a bit bigger so you don't have to scroll to read the entire info. Just a suggestion.
Make your main window larger; the popup is sized based on your main window size.

EDIT: I just went back and looked, and there might actually be a bug here. I'll look into it. Regardless, there's way too much information, and there's no way you're not going to need to scroll in most cases.

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Should this be invoice and GMS? On the site it says employee price, not sure what "dealer" pricing is.
Fixed, thanks.

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Only other minor thing I see is that when you're done, it gives you a vehicle subtotal, then the sales tax amount, then a Total. Then below that, it says +tax, title, license, and fees. Is there another tax that you guys in MI have to pay?
Some states (not Michigan) charge a luxury tax on vehicle purchases. I don't pretend to be an expert on tax law, but I can't guarantee that there aren't other taxes that might apply to various purchasers, so I figured it would be better to have that there than to take it out.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 10-28-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 PM

Good job ! Great improvements from the last version
Old 10-28-2008, 04:24 PM

I'm not so sure that sales tax should be automatically added. For one, the rate differs depending on state and county. Plus some military members don't have to pay sales tax. Lastly, it doesn't take into account trade in value offset. So (at least in my state and county) if I trade in a $10k car, I will get a $10k deduction from the taxable price of the car. So for my 1LT/RS the taxable value would go from $26400 to $16400.

Maybe if the rate was adjustable and there was a , "Less trade-in" value that subtracted the trade in value from the sale price of the car to figure tax it would be better.

Last edited by Primus; 10-28-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Primus
I'm not so sure that sales tax should be automatically added. For one, the rate differs depending on state and county. Plus some military members don't have to pay sales tax.
You can enter whatever tax rate you want in the box on the left side, below the section links.

Lastly, it doesn't take into account trade in value offset. So (at least in my state and county) if I trade in a $10k car, I will get a $10k deduction from the taxable price of the car. So for my 1LT/RS the taxable value would go from $26400 to $16400.

Maybe if the rate was adjustable and there was a , "Less trade-in" value that subtracted the trade in value from the sale price of the car to figure tax it would be better.
Interesting... I'll consider adding a trade-in value field in the next version. In the mean time, all you need to do is calculate what the sales tax would be on your trade in amount, and subtract that amount from the total.

For example (I'll use 1% tax to make the math easy):

Vehicle subtotal: $26,400
Sales tax: $264
Total: $26,664

Trade-in: -$10,000
Sales tax: -$100
Trade in Total: -$10,100

Out the door: $26,664 - 10,100 = 16,564.

It's a strange approach (the concept of charging negative sales tax is admittedly a bit odd), but it's easy to do and it's correct.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:43 PM

Question 1et37 msrp

I just noticed that on my order the 2SS MSRP is $33,430....
on the Camarobuilder it is $34,180 that's $750 more than the MSRP I got, so where does the difference come from?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:49 PM

does your "MSRP" include delivery?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Admin Emeritus

In the notes at the bottom...

Estimated price includes destination fees.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jimvor
I just noticed that on my order the 2SS MSRP is $33,430....
on the Camarobuilder it is $34,180 that's $750 more than the MSRP I got, so where does the difference come from?
Here's your answer!
Yes! Destination fees are $750.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM

cut down on all those crappy options...mines like 33K and change
Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 PM

$750 destination

Thanks for the replies... The destination fee was much less when we worked it out on the computer at the dealership, it was like $349 or so (non-taxable) and a $55 taxable fee on there too.
I wish I could cut out most of the 'crappy' options, and keep the leather. Maybe it will be possible??
Old 10-29-2008, 07:25 AM

I noticed there was no * beside the body colored engine cover....I thought that was a dealer option? If it's a factory option, please post up and let me know.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 350 HRSS
I noticed there was no * beside the body colored engine cover....I thought that was a dealer option? If it's a factory option, please post up and let me know.
I believe it is indeed a dealer option. We'll get that fixed soon.

Quick Reply: Announcing CamaroBuilder 2.0!