2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 12:08 PM

Re: Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6

Ummm, that's not Retro, , That's an Evolution. You fail to see the difference but hell look form the Z3 to the Z4 Much Improvment.

I Guess we'll all wait for the unvailing, but it's definately Retro I just hope they don't do a ford and make the interior an unrefined plastic utopia
Old 01-08-2006, 12:10 PM

I an dissappointed with the retro styling. If I wanted a 69 camaro then I woulld get a 69 camaro, but I don't, I want a new camaro. Retro sucks.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Hey, I love the 4th Gen...had a '94 Z28 and love my '01 SS...but it's time to realize the 4th Gen was a failure to the mass public. It may not have even been about pure "styling", but if you were GM, would you bank on that? Honestly, I wouldn't base my new pony car off of one that didn't survive before...

I never have liked retro, but I see this concept as easily being the most modern of the 3 new pony cars we've seen to date. Yeah, there's things I see that I really like and some I don't. Do we know that grill is going to make production? Tail lights? I doubt that interior will make production...so I guess we just have to wait and see.
I may be right, I may be wrong but I can't help feeling that the 4th gen's demise was completely GM's fault. The problem with them was that the base level cars were not very desirable...If they would have made them nicer that would have made for alot more sales. There was also the fact that they made almost no attempt to try to market them...I remember back when Camaros were still being made I'd here people saying all the time, "Hey, they still make Camaros??? I thought they stopped making them." If GM would have made an honest effort to market the F-bodies they would still be around. I personally find my Camaro to be a very comfortable car and a car that is very easy to live with day to day, so I'm not so sure that was the problem. Besides the 4th gens were not very different than the 3rd gens and they sold great...It's not like that when 1993 came around people started saying that Camaros were to difficult to live with and everything. GM gave up on the car plain and simple, they just use all the other excuses to try to save face and cover their asses
Old 01-08-2006, 12:14 PM

I love the 1st gen camaros and then the 2nd gen i wan't 2 hot about, my buddies got a 3rd gen and it's ight, it really fit into the time period in the 80s and the same w/ the 4th gen. This new camaro is going along with the general consensus, u can't please every1 all the time, but i think chevy is doing a dman good job right now, it may just be the first vehicle I buy myself once I get out of college (I'm still in high school)

p.s., those who don't like the mustangs, u eva driven 1? i got a buddy with a 2005, it's only the v-6, but it's got the 5 speed and its still fun as hell 2 drive, kills all those lil rice burners easily
Old 01-08-2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by slayerxxx213
I may be right, I may be wrong but I can't help feeling that the 4th gen's demise was completely GM's fault. The problem with them was that the base level cars were not very desirable...If they would have made them nicer that would have made for alot more sales. There was also the fact that they made almost no attempt to try to market them...I remember back when Camaros were still being made I'd here people saying all the time, "Hey, they still make Camaros??? I thought they stopped making them." If GM would have made an honest effort to market the F-bodies they would still be around. I personally find my Camaro to be a very comfortable car and a car that is very easy to live with day to day, so I'm not so sure that was the problem. Besides the 4th gens were not very different than the 3rd gens and they sold great...It's not like that when 1993 came around people started saying that Camaros were to difficult to live with and everything. GM gave up on the car plain and simple, they just use all the other excuses to try to save face and cover their asses
agree 100%
Old 01-08-2006, 12:17 PM

Check out the silver pictures posted by Automobile magazine. Especially the picture right below the article, from overhead...man, this really looks like a very modern Camaro....

http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/...amaro_concept/

Anyway, the reason the 4th Gen failed overall have been thrown around for years on this very message board. I don't disagree that GM was partly to blame...but looking at things objectively, the 4th Gen was a bit too big and unweildly for modern times. I still love it, but when you have a car as long or longer than some sedans with a tiny back seat, doors that stretch for miles and it's hard for people to see the corners of the car, it's a tough sell to the mass public who need to buy the base car....

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 01-08-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:20 PM

I had a 94 z28 and a 00 SS. All I have to say is if they would have kept going that way I wouldnt buy the new one coming out. I think the new one is amazing. After all 67-69's were/ARE awesome! I AM DEFINATELY going to be buying the new one now that they are retro. I have to say I was SUPER disappointed in the GTO. Glad they didnt do that to the camaro!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:25 PM

as far as the mustang goes, i agree because thats as much of a throwback as ford could offer. the camaro however, is a completely new design that has some of the best cues from the first gen. I think first gens are some of the prettiest cars on the planet, their simplicity, yet mean look just completely does it for me. I see nothing about the new concept that says "dated" to me, no matter how many 60s cues it has. The damn thing even has angel eyes.

What bothers me about people being anti-retro, is that there is only so many ways to design a car. The 4th gens had killer looks and killer aerodynamics, but anything more pointy, bullet shaped, and futuristic than the 4th gens (like many concepts I saw) look like rediculous hot wheels cars that seem to be a cross between a hybrid and a salt flat racer. Thats just my opinion though, take it with a grain of salt
Old 01-08-2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Check out the silver pictures posted by Automobile magazine. Especially the picture right below the article, from overhead...man, this really looks like a very modern Camaro....

http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/...amaro_concept/
That is by far the best pic I have seen of the car but unfortunatly, I am not 20 feet tall so I will never see it like that. It does give me a glimmer of hope that it might look better in person than in the pics. I went through this with the Mustang concept and production car and in person it looked just as bad in person as in the pics.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
By the way.......where in Sam Hill is Z284EVER???? or Guy?

One last thing...the car is not retro.......it really isn't at all in person.
Maybe we have to wait & see it in person??
Old 01-08-2006, 12:35 PM

I think we should all be happy that the camaro name is actually being brought up to be produced! I really think they are doing a good thing with it! And I think the majority of camaro enthusiasts will agree! I have had many camaro's and every generation, and will continue to buy AS LONG as they dont take a turn to resemble the GTO!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
That is by far the best pic I have seen of the car but unfortunatly, I am not 20 feet tall so I will never see it like that.
yeah, I know what you mean. But I also think it shows off the details that you might not see, in a picture from another angle like the red one that initially leaked.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:39 PM

When the leaked photos came out, I said that this was the car I've been waiting for my whole life. Now after seeing the actual concept photos, I feel that way even more.

I seriously get butterflies in my stomach seeing the new Camaro concept. I absolutely love it, and I will have one parked in my driveway when it's released. There is no question. If this car costed $100k, I would work three jobs 10 days a week to buy this frickin car.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:40 PM

That overhead pic of the car looks very sweet....The car overall looks very good...It's the front that bothers me the most, it looks to much like the mustang charger and challenger's...Put a sleeker, more modern, more aggressive front on it and I'll stop complaining
Old 01-08-2006, 12:51 PM

The car is GORGEOUS in that overhead pic!!

I'm glad in the direction they are taking. I LOVE my '02 Collector Edition, but I could not live with the car every day. I have to be a contortionist every time I get in and out of it. Once I'm in, it's really comfortable, but getting there is a pain.

And I really believe that the sleekness of the 4th gen is what did it in. It wasn't a pony car anymore. It became the poor man's Corvette. It strayed too far from it's roots. The Camaro and Firebird were never intended to be true sports cars in the same vain as the 'Vette. They were supposed to be quick, nimble, affordable, Mustang-competing pony cars.

And now it's back!!

Quick Reply: Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???