2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

3.0 Camaro?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
It really doesn't make much financial sense to add a 3rd engine to the Camaro lineup (or replace an existing engine) unless it truely increases sales to do so.
But what about if it increases CAFE? That's what I wonder about more than sales.

Remember, they have to realize a 25 percent improvement from 2011-2015.

Reports have indicated that a RWD Impala was killed over a 1 mpg difference over continuing with FWD.

If GM added an engine to the Camaro that could increase highway mileage to 30, it could have an impact - and would also let them add Camaro to their "Chevy cars that get more than 30 MPG" schtick.

If they did this, I wouldn't view it so much as a "downgrade" but the inclusion of an additional engine.

The Malibu LTZ and Saturn Aura XR (the top of the line models) received 2.4/6 Speed powertrains as standard for 2009 whereas they used to have a standard 3.6. This increased their fuel economy and cut their prices a little.

The Saturn Vue XR now comes standard with a 2.4 and 4 speed whereas it used to have a standard 3.6. It's $1,100 cheaper, but I'm sure a 3.6 is much more expensive than an Ecotec.

Nonetheless, GM has definitely been adding new base engines with better fuel economy.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:13 PM

agreed... telling someone "they need to get laid" because you misinterpereted their mood at the time of posting is unneccesary. I didn't get the impression that Skorpion was getting bent out of shape at all. It really doesn't make much financial sense to add a 3rd engine to the Camaro lineup (or replace an existing engine) unless it truely increases sales to do so.
so your admiting it doesnt make any sense to bring in any other motor options?
so like an ls9 or even a turbo 4 cylinder like they are working on?
Old 10-31-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
But what about if it increases CAFE? That's what I wonder about more than sales.

Remember, they have to realize a 25 percent improvement from 2011-2015.

Reports have indicated that a RWD Impala was killed over a 1 mpg difference over continuing with FWD.

If GM added an engine to the Camaro that could increase highway mileage to 30, it could have an impact - and would also let them add Camaro to their "Chevy cars that get more than 30 MPG" schtick.

If they did this, I wouldn't view it so much as a "downgrade" but the inclusion of an additional engine.

The Malibu LTZ and Saturn Aura XR (the top of the line models) received 2.4/6 Speed powertrains as standard for 2009 whereas they used to have a standard 3.6. This increased their fuel economy and cut their prices a little.

The Saturn Vue XR now comes standard with a 2.4 and 4 speed whereas it used to have a standard 3.6. It's $1,100 cheaper, but I'm sure a 3.6 is much more expensive than an Ecotec.

Nonetheless, GM has definitely been adding new base engines with better fuel economy.
thats exactly what im saying. the more options you have for people it lets them get what they want. sure maybe not alot may want it for "power" reasons but it may be more practical to some people. and yeah it would make sense especially if they can get 30+mpg out of it and they could sell thousands and then it would be more acceptable for them to make the ls9 powered camaro to achieve the need MPG for CAFE'
Old 10-31-2008, 02:17 PM

agreed... telling someone "they need to get laid" because you misinterpereted their mood at the time of posting is unneccesary. I didn't get the impression that Skorpion was getting bent out of shape at all. It really doesn't make much financial sense to add a 3rd engine to the Camaro lineup (or replace an existing engine) unless it truely increases sales to do so.
oh my god! chill out and get a damn sense of humor. my god some of you guys are so damn uptight.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
How does another V6 increase production costs if it's in another car line?

Why create a 3.0, which costs money, for the new Equinox and SRX when the 3.6 already exists? The 3.6 is a gas hog in the Vue, so I'm guessing they're figuring on some MPG savings in those vehicles.
It would have to be certified in Camaro which costs money. Then you have to add a few dollars for the ability to put that motor into the Camaro and for the miscellaneous little parts that have to be changed between the 3.6L and the 3.0L.

I don't doubt that it would return some extra fuel economy, but I am skeptical about the amount. Probably 1 mpg at most. And remember that the Camaro's more upscale position is probably part of the driving force behind a base motor that makes 300HP.

I have a feeling that the 3.0L in the Equinox has more to do with the age of the 3.4L than simply getting better fuel economy than the 3.6L which is only available in the sport package right now. The 3.4L makes 17/24 mpg and the 3.6L is identical in FWD and only loses 1 mpg city in AWD config, although the 3.6L has the advantage of an extra gear right now. The 3.0L and whatever 4 cylinder that will be in the 2010 will both supposedly come with the 6 speed.

The last thing to remember is that the 3.6L's in the cars you are talking about are not the DI motors anyway. The 3.6L DI was Caddy exclusive, but it will still likely stay exclusive to certain lines and not proliferate to every vehicle very soon. I don't know the full specs of that 3.0L but if it makes 250Hp that is about what the non DI 3.6L makes and so I wonder if the 3.0L will simply replace the non DI 3.6L in most of those models.