2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2015 Camaro Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 AM

Re: 2015 Camaro Rumors

Originally Posted by jg95z28
and a second with more modern styling and a bit more up content. The second would be sold by Buick and called Skylark.
Sounds like something some car called the Pontiac Firebird used to be.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM

I'd like to see the Camaro or any Pony cars sized coupe that GM builds get it's own platform back and not have to share or alter sedan architecture.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I'd like to see the Camaro or any Pony cars sized coupe that GM builds get it's own platform back and not have to share or alter sedan architecture.
Camaro has always either shared it's platform with another vehicle, or used another vehicle as a jump off point. It's never had it's own clean sheet, ground up platform.

The 1st gen was based on the Nova, although Camaro was accelerated to come out first.

The 2nd gen was a widened, modified version of the 1st.

The 3rd gen used the Vega/Monza as a starting point (ever take a look at the underside of both?).

4th gen was an updated version of the 3rd gen

Fact is that pony cars were affordable because they were based on a volume platform or developed off of an existing one.

Even the current Mustang had the DEW (Lincoln LS, Thunderbird, Jaguar) platform as a starting point. Because it's extensively modified (ie: the 3rd gen) it's going to form the basis of Mustangs for at least 15 years.The next Mustang isn't an "all new" platform...it's a modified version of the current one.

As for the 6th gen, I wouldn't expect the next Camaro to be as much an ATS Alpha as I would expect it to be the new CTS Alpha in both width and weight.

Finally, there is still a very, very big chance that a 130R-like coupe and sedan might show up at Chevy. Consider this line of thought:

There are a lot of young adults (mostly males) buying used BMW 3 series in the mid to upper 20K range. These are people who want something small, sporty, well made, and a lot of fun to drive.

...If Chevrolet offered that type of car at a price that was slightly cheaper, but in a brand new vehicle which would (if sold in sufficient volume) help CAFE averages, are there enough buyers to make it worthwhile, and how would it affect the sales of the larger Camaro.

Ponder this, and you're well into the questions GM is pondering over the car.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
As for the 6th gen, I wouldn't expect the next Camaro to be as much an ATS Alpha as I would expect it to be the new CTS Alpha in both width and weight.
There is an interesting rumor out there that the CTS will be just as wide as the ATS but not wider, only longer. Don’t know this individual but he has a pretty good rep on the Caddy forum.

Finally, there is still a very, very big chance that a 130R-like coupe and sedan might show up at Chevy. Consider this line of thought:

There are a lot of young adults (mostly males) buying used BMW 3 series in the mid to upper 20K range. These are people who want something small, sporty, well made, and a lot of fun to drive.

...If Chevrolet offered that type of car at a price that was slightly cheaper, but in a brand new vehicle which would (if sold in sufficient volume) help CAFE averages, are there enough buyers to make it worthwhile, and how would it affect the sales of the larger Camaro.

Ponder this, and you're well into the questions GM is pondering over the car.
I am one who would love to see this. GM was surprised by the response to the C130R vs. the TRU 140S. They didn’t expect small, RWD and affordable would be so attractive. I truly believe a Coupe, sedan and 2 door wagon (Mini fighter) would all do very well.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 PM

Camaro has always either shared it's platform with another vehicle, or used another vehicle as a jump off point. It's never had it's own clean sheet, ground up platform.

The 1st gen was based on the Nova, although Camaro was accelerated to come out first.

The 2nd gen was a widened, modified version of the 1st.

The 3rd gen used the Vega/Monza as a starting point (ever take a look at the underside of both?).

4th gen was an updated version of the 3rd gen

Fact is that pony cars were affordable because they were based on a volume platform or developed off of an existing one.
You know what I mean. Camaro and Firebird had the F-body to themselves. And while it was developed from oter platforms they were not quite like being Zeta or Alpha based. Nova, Vega had coupe variants. I'm not as worried about the 6th Gen being Alpha based because I think its closer to the right pony car formula than Zeta.

There has been some talk that the ATS Coupe is dead, delayed or back. Is that still on?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 AM

the new camaros are going to be built in lansing michigan i know this cause my dads friend works at GM and is in charge of marketing or something like that
Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rev294
the new camaros are going to be built in lansing michigan i know this cause my dads friend works at GM and is in charge of marketing or something like that
Plus, GM made a public announcement that said the Camaro was going to Lansing.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
There has been some talk that the ATS Coupe is dead, delayed or back. Is that still on?
ATS coupe is on and we should see it debut later this year.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 PM

Recent developments have been very interesting to me.

I am wondering if the 2015 Camaro Z/28 will have a LS7 engine in it? Can the Alpha platform hold an LS7?

I currently have a C5 and run with a Corvette gruop, I am very familiar with the LS7 engine, it is a beast. While my current ride is adequate, however I've started a family and my wife doesn't like to drive (long story). A Camaro that can keep up with Corvettes and has a back seat is a very attractive alternative.

2014 will have the Z28 which is what I want, but a year later the Camaro will be on the Alpha platform. We may loose 200 pounds, but loose the LS7 with it. What a dilema, get the current Z/28 or wait for the next generation which may or may not have the engine I want.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:15 PM

Yes, Alpha can hold a V8 but it won't be any of the LS generation engines. GM has higher level engines based on the LT1 in development. I also wouldn't expect to see a high performance (Z/28 or ZL1) 6th gen until a few years into production. Better grab a Z/28 now if you can. Keep in mind though that the Z/28 is not meant to be a daily driver. Its not meant for comfort by any means.

Last edited by ImportedRoomate; 05-07-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
Yes, Alpha can hold a V8 but it won't be any of the LS generation engines. GM has higher level engines based on the LT1 in development. I also wouldn't expect to see a high performance (Z/28 or ZL1) 6th gen until a few years into production. Better grab a Z/28 now if you can. Keep in mind though that the Z/28 is not meant to be a daily driver. Its not meant for comfort by any means.
Neither is my C5. I don't think I have ever turned the air conditioner on while I've owned it. I'd be more worried about my backside!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Unless you just hate money, 1LE with a cam (LS7 hp = not a problem) might make more sense for a street/track car than a $60k+ Z/28...
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 PM

I think the 6th Gen Camaro is more 2016 time frame so you'll probably have a couple of years with the LS7 Z/28.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
Unless you just hate money, 1LE with a cam (LS7 hp = not a problem) might make more sense for a street/track car than a $60k+ Z/28...
I see and agree with your logic. But affective cams in California will cause problems with CARB and smog checks. What would be as affective is a supercharger with a CARB EO#. But then I'm right back to a modded car again, no warranty, smog registration issues, etc. etc.

I'd like to stick with something exceptional that I can keep stock, (and has a back seat). This is why the ZL1 or Z/28 have got my attention.

P.S. I appreciate the feedback. I know my (now) conservative approach to performance isn't typical around here.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Will
I see and agree with your logic. But affective cams in California will cause problems with CARB and smog checks. What would be as affective is a supercharger with a CARB EO#. But then I'm right back to a modded car again, no warranty, smog registration issues, etc. etc.

I'd like to stick with something exceptional that I can keep stock, (and has a back seat). This is why the ZL1 or Z/28 have got my attention.

P.S. I appreciate the feedback. I know my (now) conservative approach to performance isn't typical around here.
Yea CA Smog rules do add some complexity to modifications.

I wouldn't change much if anything on a Z/28. Maybe headers to let the sweet LS7 soundtrack and some extra HP flow.

It's going to be a special car from the factory. With it's expected high sticker price and maybe 2 year availability this LS7 Z/28 will probably be the most sought after 5th Gen Camaro from a collectability standpoint.

I'd be more apt to buy a used 2010 SS LS3 to modify than a new Z/28.

Quick Reply: 2015 Camaro Rumors