2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2010 Camaro, 2 week report....

Old 12-01-2009, 07:29 PM

2010 Camaro, 2 week report....

Well it's been a few weeks, so here are a few more random thoughts.

-I really like the steering, both effort and ratio, just perfect IMO.

-The handling is very good, much better than the G8 GT, pretty suprising for such a bulky car.

-The gauge fonts have GOT to go! I'll definitely be going aftermarket whenever something else is available, they're just too hard to read at a glance. Camaro Black gauges please!!

-I finally got the seats in a comfy spot, not sure why it took so long, but I've found a happy place, and the cloths are very snug and grippy if that's a word.

-The only real visibility problem is the view out the right rear, left side is no problem because of the big side window (though the drivers side quarter window is completely obscured by the seat back and the b pilar). Just make sure the mirrors are at the proper positions, and keep a little more situational awareness, and it's not a huge deal.

-The AFM is noticable to me for the first time. The Impy SS was completely transparent, the G8 virtually the same, but in this car, there is a noticable twitch in the car, and the exhaust goes into a subdued fart can mode. This will be something I am certain I will tune out when I put the borlas on.

-City only mileage is a bit better than the 2 aforementioned cars. Impy SS avgd 14.0, G8 about 15, Camaro about 16.1, and just for comparisons, C6 gets 19.1.

-The steering wheel shape is only a problem from the 11-1 o'clock positions. At the 5 and 7's, you can hold the wheel palms up or down comfortably, it fits perfectly in the 10 and 2 as well. But anything between the 11 and 1 positions, the shape of the wheel matches the shape of your palm, but its at the wrong angle by about 45 degrees. Strange.

-Stereo continues to be awesome

-The seat back release handles on the backs of the seats should allow for the seat to slide forward on its track as well as tilt forward. Easier for the kiddos.

-Trunk opening hasn't been an issue.

-Shifter handle....WTF? I can't figure out if it's desgined to be grabbed palm down, or like a pistol. Either way, it doesn't fit your hand. Aftermarket? I may see if a C6 A6 or G8 handle will fit.

-The ride is pretty bouncy on certain roads, much moreso than on the G8, in fact I never even noticed it on the same roads in the G8. I'm thinking some new shocks/struts may be a necessity here.

-HID's are great, though I wish the DRL's were the amber lights, and we got some proper fogs. Pseudo fogs are kind of lame, and the 4th gens and Corvettes look awesome w/ the amber DRL's.

-Not to restart the Brembo brake/Corvette drama, but just strictly speaking, the standard brakes on the C6 are better than the Camaro's Brembos. Better feel, more linear, and I'm sure a shorter stopping distance, though that is not really a valid comparison given the weight differential.

-It's a big car, no way around it, and it feels big. A member here called it a Monte Camarlo, and I hate to admit it, but that's not far off. I don't mind the physical size as much as the feel of the car being bigger/heavier than it's predecessors. But, given the choice between this Camaro and no Camaro, I'm totally happy w/ this one. Than's not to say a slightly smaller, substantially lighter version next time around wouldn't get my attention as much as this one does.

Until next time...
Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

Cool info, I always like to see what other people are thinking about the car.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:36 PM

Do you have any updates on yours?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
. A member here called it a Monte Camarlo
Who dat??

Great review, CLEAN.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Do you have any updates on yours?
None that are very fair, since it doesn't even feel like the same car any more.

Now it is lower, more noisy, more badder-asser(erer), doesn't get traction worth a damn on cold Michigan roads.

But since you asked...

I don't care about gas mileage because I myself don't use it as a daily car.

I rarely look at the gauges because I use the DIC.

I got used to the blind spots quickly.

I didn't like the AFM much. It will be gone soon.

I know I may be closer the exception and not the rule on all of the above, but without I still like the car!