2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Z06 or 2010 SS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
To me this is a no brainer...the C5's interior makes me want to vomit.
Not to mention an 8-9 year old C5 interior. Unless the car is ultra-low mileage the seats are going to look like crap and the rest of the interior never measured up in the first place.

But count me in as one of those who will cross-shop the new Camaro with slightly used Corvettes as well, only I'll be looking at C6's.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Once again, things are so quiet that we start making really ridiculous threads.

Comming next:

"I love my 1987 Peterbuilt Model 387 Cummings.... But if I bought a 2010 Camaro SS, since it's only 400 or so ft/lbs of torque versus the 1850 ft/lbs of my Cummings I5X engine and the seats recline while my Peterbuilt has an actual sleeper bed, do you think I'll miss either features if I bought a Camaro??? .......... don't hate on me because I'm simply asking for opinions."

Please guys. Let's not go into silly ***** land.

If you are OK with a 2 passenger sports car over a 4 passenger sports coupe, and you got the extra cash to spend, I'm sure you already made up your mind to buy the Corvette, so don't waste our time asking opinion that you already know is going to go with Corvette.

But........
if you are "saying" you are trying to decide between a nine year old Z06 with 385 horsepower that's been used by someone else and whose warranty expired years ago and a Camaro that hasn't even hit the streets yet, and when it does is going to be nine frigging years newer, complete with 9 years of advancements in quality and durability versus a Corvette that's going to need repairs and maintence related to 9 years of existence, you would do better to take it over to a Corvette website and ask your question there instead of here.

At least there, you would find out what issues other owners had with theirs, and you can make a honestly intellegent and educated decision based on what you are prepared to deal with in repairs, maintence, and problem areas based on what other owners have experienced instead of coming here expecting for praise.

Sorry if I sound exceedingly harsh, but let's be blunt.

If you are actually considering a 2001 Z06, then you actually want a 2001 Z06 and want someone to certify your decision on a Camaro site, of all places. Go to a Corvette website. No one is going to spend time deciding between a a old Corvette (it's going to be a decade old when Camaro hits the streets) and a new, yet to reach production Camaro unless they really want a Vette.

That is not a bad against the Camaro, and it shouldn't be viewed as anything aginst Camaro. But at the same time, to be honset, people who buy Corvettes didn't value shop them against Camaros. They wanted a Corvette (usually, for many years before they bought one) and they bought a Corvette. End of story.

So quit fishing for worship on a Camaro site and just buy the damn thing.

FWIW, your's is the 3rd "Camaro or Corvette" thread I can recall in the past year or so. It's getting old.
it's obvious you didn't read the thread. try reading it next time before making long winded rhetorical jibberish posts about whatever you want to talk about. keep it on subject.

the guy ALREADY bought a C5 Z06 and is planning on buying the fifth gen camaro when it's available. he is asking if you (anybody) would notice the performance difference and will he be disappointed when he makes the plunge. that's it. it's a simple subject. no cross shopping, no warranty talk, no durability/common problems crap. the topic is right in front of you, read it.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
it's obvious you didn't read the thread. try reading it next time before making long winded rhetorical jibberish posts about whatever you want to talk about. keep it on subject.

the guy ALREADY bought a C5 Z06 and is planning on buying the fifth gen camaro when it's available. he is asking if you (anybody) would notice the performance difference and will he be disappointed when he makes the plunge. that's it. it's a simple subject. no cross shopping, no warranty talk, no durability/common problems crap. the topic is right in front of you, read it.
Yeah, your right. I do already have the Z06 - but I didn't make this post in an attempt to show off or whatever as some people seem to be implying. The Z06 cost me less than what most of you will be paying for a new Camaro SS. Of course the Camaro is brand new, and the Z06 is not. As I mentioned, this is part of my question.

I made this thread more or less for fun, and I appreciate the responses.

Your right about the C5 interior - it's pretty dull. I would probably stick with the Z06, but that back seat would definitely be nice so that I can drive the car with my wife and daughter and not just when I'm going somewhere by myself.

Oh, and stay away from the diatribes about trucks. It's Cummins, not Cummings. And their largest engine is the ISX, not the I5X.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:27 AM

Will you notice a difference? Yes. Will you be disappointed? That I can't answer, or even offer an opinion.

I can tell you when the vert is available, I will be selling the Evo and buying the car I have been waiting well over 20 yrs for. Will it be quicker than my Evo? Probably not for a while. Will I be disappointed? Absolutely not.

What I am trying to say is that if you are looking for a "go fast" sportscar, you don't want a Camaro. They are obviously not going to be for everyone. And the fact of the matter is... I would rather rip off my ********* in a combine accident than buy a Mustang or a Challenger. And since a car seat doesn't fit in a Vette, guess I am going to have to buy a Camaro.

Sorry for the horrible graphic... just trying to bring some humor into theis subject
Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Once again, things are so quiet that we start making really ridiculous threads......Sorry if I sound exceedingly harsh, but let's be blunt.....
No need to apologize, most of us are used to it if someone dares to disagree with you or ask/state something you consider to be ridiculous.

Judging from the input in this and other "Corvette or Camaro" threads, your opinion is in the minority.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Skeld....

GM claimed the 01 Z06 ran the qrtr in 12.6. I'm thinking you'd notice acceleration 1/2 second (or more) slower in the 5th Gen SS. Question is , depending on how you drive and if you go to the track, would you even miss it?

If not, then sure, there's a lot to be said for having a NEW car (along with the warranty that goes with it) and if you want the extra seats, go for it.

I'm in a similar situation, I got my '04 Z06 to earlier this year to "hold me over" until the supercharged Z28 came out. Not interested in the LS3 SS even though I absolutely LOVE the look and would like to have 4 seats (be nice to take my daughter and wife out in "my" car instead of the 3 of us taking her Trailblazer all the time). Call it what you want, overcompensating, immaturity....whatever...... when I get the itch, I like to "hammer it" on the acceleration ramp, from a full stop, at the track, you name it. I'd be pretty disappointed losing between 1/2 to 1 second in the quarter and the SOTP acceleration that it equates to on the street.

If the LSA equipped Camaro is in fact and if GM doesn't make available a dealer installed supercharger (I have absolutely no interest in an after market supercharger that will void my warranty), then I'll be replacing my Z06 with another Corvette and try to convince my wife she "needs" a V6 5th Gen . I'll just wait and see what happens in the next couple of years.

Last edited by Ron78Z&01SS; 09-19-2008 at 11:37 AM.