2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2001 Z06 or 2010 SS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:07 PM

2001 Z06 or 2010 SS?

I broke down and bought a 2001 Z06 with 30k miles on it about a month ago. I like it quite a bit. It seems quite a bit faster than my old 2000 Z28 was, as it should be, but let's face it: it's probably only around a 1/2 sec. faster in the 1/4?

The new Camaro is going to be low 13's apparently stock. Do you think I'll be disappointed with the new Camaro's performance after being used to the Z06, or will I not notice? It would be nice to have a back seat, and the low ride height of the Z06 can be a pain in the ***. Any input welcome.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Skeld
I broke down and bought a 2001 Z06 with 30k miles on it about a month ago. I like it quite a bit. It seems quite a bit faster than my old 2000 Z28 was, as it should be, but let's face it: it's probably only around a 1/2 sec. faster in the 1/4?

The new Camaro is going to be low 13's apparently stock. Do you think I'll be disappointed with the new Camaro's performance after being used to the Z06, or will I not notice? It would be nice to have a back seat, and the low ride height of the Z06 can be a pain in the ***. Any input welcome.
Dunno. That C5 Z06 had like 430 hp right? Camaro 422HP SS but will be quite a bit heavier though. I know for the focus group they brought along a C5 Z06 for comparison and then they drove the V6 but I dont know that anyone got to drive the SS. Personally, I think the 5th gen has the C5 beat on looks but thats my taste. Maybe the Desiples could shed some light? Id be interested in more of that myself

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 09-12-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Dunno. That C5 Z06 had like 430 hp right?
The '01 Z06's had 385hp, and probably at least a 1/2 second quicker in the quarter.

The 2 cars are such different animals you really can't compare them. The Camaro will be much more solid and substantial feeling compared to the Z, but the Z will perform better. It really will come down to what kind of car you want, because I think the Camaro will be different enough that you wouldn't really cross shop them.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 PM

When it comes to performance, I'm sure you will feel disappointed if you compare it to even a C5 z06.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
When it comes to performance, I'm sure you will feel disappointed if you compare it to even a C5 z06.
when did you drive a 2010 camaro ss to compare it to a z06? while im sure they both probally feel like 2 different cars who are you to say he will be disapointed?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by 97ss30th
when did you drive a 2010 camaro ss to compare it to a z06? while im sure they both probally feel like 2 different cars who are you to say he will be disapointed?
that's why it's called an opinion genius. the whole purpose of this thread was for opinions, don't get your panties tangled up. if you have issues with a theoretical thread, take it up with the original poster, not me, smart guy.

i really feel performance wise (as was the original question of the thread) that he will feel disappointed going from Z06 to fifth gen camaro. it's not that hard to believe, i'm sure the z06 will outperform it in every way. (braking, cornering, acceleration, etc.)
Old 09-13-2008, 12:04 AM

Looks = Z06
Performance = Z06
Price = Z06

Chicks love Vettes too, nice purchase!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:23 AM

an 01-04 Z06 is very hard to top $$ wise when it comes to all around performance.

the c5 interior is lacking some though, but it's still OK.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
that's why it's called an opinion genius. the whole purpose of this thread was for opinions, don't get your panties tangled up. if you have issues with a theoretical thread, take it up with the original poster, not me, smart guy.

i really feel performance wise (as was the original question of the thread) that he will feel disappointed going from Z06 to fifth gen camaro. it's not that hard to believe, i'm sure the z06 will outperform it in every way. (braking, cornering, acceleration, etc.)
sorry, thanks for your opinon
Old 09-13-2008, 01:07 AM

I would go all the way 2010 Camaro. Plus it will be new as compared to buy a USED car. There are pros and cons, but go with what your heart tells you.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:43 AM

To me this is a no brainer...the C5's interior makes me want to vomit.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 AM

Once again, things are so quiet that we start making really ridiculous threads.

Comming next:

"I love my 1987 Peterbuilt Model 387 Cummings.... But if I bought a 2010 Camaro SS, since it's only 400 or so ft/lbs of torque versus the 1850 ft/lbs of my Cummings I5X engine and the seats recline while my Peterbuilt has an actual sleeper bed, do you think I'll miss either features if I bought a Camaro??? .......... don't hate on me because I'm simply asking for opinions."

Please guys. Let's not go into silly ***** land.

If you are OK with a 2 passenger sports car over a 4 passenger sports coupe, and you got the extra cash to spend, I'm sure you already made up your mind to buy the Corvette, so don't waste our time asking opinion that you already know is going to go with Corvette.

But........
if you are "saying" you are trying to decide between a nine year old Z06 with 385 horsepower that's been used by someone else and whose warranty expired years ago and a Camaro that hasn't even hit the streets yet, and when it does is going to be nine frigging years newer, complete with 9 years of advancements in quality and durability versus a Corvette that's going to need repairs and maintence related to 9 years of existence, you would do better to take it over to a Corvette website and ask your question there instead of here.

At least there, you would find out what issues other owners had with theirs, and you can make a honestly intellegent and educated decision based on what you are prepared to deal with in repairs, maintence, and problem areas based on what other owners have experienced instead of coming here expecting for praise.

Sorry if I sound exceedingly harsh, but let's be blunt.

If you are actually considering a 2001 Z06, then you actually want a 2001 Z06 and want someone to certify your decision on a Camaro site, of all places. Go to a Corvette website. No one is going to spend time deciding between a a old Corvette (it's going to be a decade old when Camaro hits the streets) and a new, yet to reach production Camaro unless they really want a Vette.

That is not a bad against the Camaro, and it shouldn't be viewed as anything aginst Camaro. But at the same time, to be honset, people who buy Corvettes didn't value shop them against Camaros. They wanted a Corvette (usually, for many years before they bought one) and they bought a Corvette. End of story.

So quit fishing for worship on a Camaro site and just buy the damn thing.

FWIW, your's is the 3rd "Camaro or Corvette" thread I can recall in the past year or so. It's getting old.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:24 AM

I hauled an 03 Z06 for a customer that had 405 horsepower emblems on it. It was as nice as a new one with 4,600 miles and he got it for $29,500. A beautiful car that has taken the depreciation hit with very low miles, but no warranty. There are some good vehicles out there in the $30,000 range, what a base SS will list for.

Last edited by GTOJack; 09-13-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
That is not a bad against the Camaro, and it shouldn't be viewed as anything aginst Camaro. But at the same time, to be honset, people who buy Corvettes didn't value shop them against Camaros. They wanted a Corvette (usually, for many years before they bought one) and they bought a Corvette. End of story.
Sorry to be so blunt myself, but once again you are attempting to apply your personal views as a universal constant. And once again, you could not be more wrong.

I am currently looking for a low mileage '02 - '04 Z06. I really do not want to buy a Corvette. Really. I want to buy a Camaro. I've waited for a new Camaro for quite some time and at any point during that time I could have bought a Corvette. Why would I or anyone else wait until now?

Maybe one possible reason is that now that more information is known, this Camaro does not appeal to us. Well, what are we to do now? We don't want a Mustang. We're Camaro guys but we're not going to toe the company line and blindly lay down our hard earned money on a car that really doesn't seem like a Camaro outside of its admittedly beautiful skin. We have some disposable income but can't see the sense of spending $50K+ for a car that will be flogged at the track.

Hmmmm... it's really too bad I don't like that $30 - $35K Camaro. My life would be much easier. The car has a lot going for it. It has killer looks and features but looks and trinkets will only get you so far in life. I can live without those if I had to. Problem is that Camaro also has 400 hp and a modern chassis.

Boy if there was only something I could find that has those same attributes and could fill the same role as my old beat up 4th gen. Something that could be a fun, affordable street car. Something that is appealing to me as a driver for a track car. Something that could be had at a reasonable price point....... man, I'd be all over it.

Wait, I've got it.

Low mileage Z06s are now in the $25K - $35K range. That has to be the screaming performance value of the last 20 years.

But I'm not a Corvette guy. I'm a Camaro guy. I don't want a Corvette. And I want a new car. *shrug* GM didn't build what you want. Your wife is looking outside GM for the first time because they don't build something she wants. Open your eyes. Look outside the box. Get something to scratch your itch until GM hopefully pulls their head out. It doesn't mean you're a gold chainer going through his mid life crisis while rubbing his beloved fiberglass baby with a diaper. Your car is going to get used. Hard. And it certainly doesn't mean you're no longer a Camaro guy. You'll still be there if GM comes back to you.

The above is pretty much what I have wrestled with over the last few months. So yeah Guy, you're wrong. Some people do value shop at least used Corvettes against the new Camaro. If the new Camaro has pushed long time new Camaro buying customers into used Corvettes, then I think that could be seen as a bad against the new car. At least some of those people DO NOT really want a Corvette over Camaro but they probably want a Corvette over THIS Camaro. End of story.

I do agree with your stance on fishing / trolling for approval though and you won't see me doing it.... aside from a possible introductory picture thread of course.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 09-13-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:37 AM

I'm certainly cross shopping a used $25k-$30k C5 Z06 against the new Camaro SS virtually every damn day, I don't care what anyone says about no one doing it.... I both want the Corvette, but want the Camaro too. The money is no small deal for me so I want the most bang for the buck. I keep coming back to the Z06 and it's light weight, awesome handling, and race car feel for $30k and thinking the newer Camaro SS comes up short. As well it should I guess, we are talking about a top model Vette afterall that has depreciated to the point it is very affordable for a low mileage (to me anything under 50k is pretty low mileage...) that performs w/ the best still. It really must be one of the best bargains in a Corvette is decades since the C6 has really pushed the C5s down in value... There's still that whole brand new Camaro bit pulling me away though. Great looks, improved 6spd manual, LS3, great bolt-on power potential, more versatile w/ 4 seats, etc. And of course I'm a Camaro guy at heart having had 4 of them and a TA. Dangit.

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 09-13-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Z06 or 2010 SS?