2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* Ambient lighting - the FINAL update *

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass

I don't like the look of the shiny, hard plastic inserts, and would probably remove them when I got the car and replace them with the fabric inserts, even if that meant the loss of the ambient lighting.
why not get a 1SS?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 AM

Fit and finish should be a top priority. However, it's a shame they can not get it to continue on the dash. It's like the circle/the flow is broken. It's a similar issue some of us have said about the stripes. Why not continue them onto the nose and around the rear spoiler?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
why not get a 1SS?

There's a lot more equipment that you get on the 2SS that you cannot get on the 1SS.
Plus, I don't think you can get the RS package on the 1SS.
And I'd prefer the leather seats over the "cloth".
Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by christianjax
I think it should be part of the RS package.
Defininitely agreed.

Originally Posted by the kid 05
the whole impersonating a cop thing?

might have just answered my original question about the red
I don't know of any cops with LED lighting on the dash. Shouldn't matter as long as it's on the inside.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by SSPORT10
The lastest rumor was that it was too hot for the dash, would like to know if this is true or not, but we may never find out...
I have a feeling that could be somewhat true. I was told that they pretty much scrapped the first system because there was concern that some sections of the lighting could burn out over time, leaving gaps, and of course they don't want to produce a system that will appear "cheap" like that. So I'm under the impression they are working on a more reliable system ... maybe the dash lights weren't going to make it in time, or the reliability was still in doubt?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM

Cool! I wish it was actoss the whole dash too, but I guess it is better to at least have it on the doors than not having it at all. The lastest rumor was that it was too hot for the dash, would like to know if this is true or not, but we may never find out...Hey 2010 5thgen, try and get some pics and videos of the ABL if you can. A nice few second video would be really cool if possible, thanks.
not unless they were using incandescent light bulbs. lol

Incandescent light bulb is your standard house light bulb in case you didn't know.

Heat would never be an issue, any lighting application in today's vehicles and electronics is almost always Light Emitting Diodes (LED). They don't produce heat, they last several years before dimming, they use very little power, they're tiny, and they're cheap.

So it wouldn't be a heat issue. My guess it was probably distracting and they ran out of time before they could implement a way to control the ambient lighting. I'm sure they didn't want to throw just a push button switch anywhere like the Mustang has by the cup holders, that is WAY out of place btw.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:04 PM

i wonder why they didnt just rent a benz from somewhere or borrow one from someone, that has the ambient lighting , and check it out and see how the germans are doing it.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 PM

Or why not use Fiber Optics? Then all they need is ONE light source.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:16 PM

yeah. if they would have used fiberoptics then they could have made it more of a distinction between orange and red. they said they arent making the red lighting for the interior because it looked too much like the orange.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:13 PM

From what I'm gathering from the original post, they were having problems with fit & finish of the lit dash inserts.
Instead of delaying the car any further, they decided to eliminate the ambient lighting from the dash inserts while leaving it in the door inserts.

With that said, I think the ambient lighting package should be a stand alone option across all the trims lines.
I don't like the look of the shiny, hard plastic inserts, and would probably remove them when I got the car and replace them with the fabric inserts, even if that meant the loss of the ambient lighting.
The shiny door and dash trim having nothing to do with the ambient lighting, from what I gather. The lighting pipes for the ABL are above the panels and not behind them.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by sui_winbolo
not unless they were using incandescent light bulbs. lol

Incandescent light bulb is your standard house light bulb in case you didn't know.

Heat would never be an issue, any lighting application in today's vehicles and electronics is almost always Light Emitting Diodes (LED). They don't produce heat, they last several years before dimming, they use very little power, they're tiny, and they're cheap.

So it wouldn't be a heat issue. My guess it was probably distracting and they ran out of time before they could implement a way to control the ambient lighting. I'm sure they didn't want to throw just a push button switch anywhere like the Mustang has by the cup holders, that is WAY out of place btw.

I am not saying that this it true or I believe this, it was a rumor. I call B.S. on that one as well. It sounds like that they just could not get it 100% correct and felt it was better to leave it off the dash then leave it on and make it not look all that great.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM

The shiny door and dash trim having nothing to do with the ambient lighting, from what I gather. The lighting pipes for the ABL are above the panels and not behind them.
I knew the lighting was above the panels, and I'm pretty sure it's integrated/part of the shiny panels, so the panels WOULD have EVERYTHING to do with the ambient lighting. Thus, if you remove the shiny panels, you remove the ambient lighting.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:41 PM

I knew the lighting was above the panels, and I'm pretty sure it's integrated/part of the shiny panels, so the panels WOULD have EVERYTHING to do with the ambient lighting. Thus, if you remove the shiny panels, you remove the ambient lighting.
The colored dash/door panels they showed for purchase through the dealer do not have the lighting in them, unless I am wrong. The panels might be somewhat translucent to allow the lighting to shine through or reflect off of.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:36 AM

IMO either do the ambient lighting across the whole dash and door panels or don't do it any of it at all. Don't waste the money or time if it's not going to be the best it could be.

The 2010 Camaro is still a great overall package. But at some point the detractions from mismanaged details add up...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:31 AM

The colored dash/door panels they showed for purchase through the dealer do not have the lighting in them, unless I am wrong. The panels might be somewhat translucent to allow the lighting to shine through or reflect off of.
If you're right, that's even better.
That way, I can remove the hard, shiny, plastic inserts and put the fabric ones in and still retain the ambient lighting. Obviously they wouldn't glow as well as the plastic ones, but the effect would still kinda be there.

Quick Reply: * Ambient lighting - the FINAL update *