2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is $50,000 a good VALUE if the Z28 is what we are expecting it to be?
Yes
50.00%
No
39.29%
I don't know
10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

$50 grand* for a Camaro Z28. Is that a good VALUE**?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 AM

Hell no. I would have to say I'd buy a Corvette first. Love the car, Love the MArque, but I doubt I would drop 50 large on one.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 AM

i say it is good value. all those upgraded parts are well worth it. we dont even know what the car REALLY as changed on it from the SS, but assuming its upgraded suspension, rear end,engine, wheels, tires, body enhancement....yes, well worth it. i wish i could have one.

however i dont think it should be called the Z28. reason being, the Z28 isnt what this car is. The Z28 should be a stripped down model, lightweight,big brakes, track car. the new "z28" isnt what it should be.
but the car is good value for what it has. not good value for what the Z28 should be.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 AM

If you look at what the Z28 would add over a 2SS Camaro (assuming it adds the stuff in Jason's post), then $50k seems pretty reasonable - if not even a good deal. I would also agree, though, that the loaded 2SS is a bit pricey to start with, but that is a seperate argument.

-Geoff
Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 AM

my 2ss is loaded. 35k is NOT a bad deal for the SS. like i always say remember that the car is the same price as it was when it was cancelled 8 years ago.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
my 2ss is loaded. 35k is NOT a bad deal for the SS. like i always say remember that the car is the same price as it was when it was cancelled 8 years ago.
According to www.chevrolet.com, the base 2SS MSRP is $34,145. Adding destination puts that at $35,145. Adding options - and "loaded" typically means at least *most* options - can put the MSRP considerably higher than that. It is actually rather easy to option a 2SS up to $40k (same thing applies to Mustang Premium).

Source: www.chevrolet.com
Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Same as it was 8 years ago? If it was I would already own one. I just looked this up on MSN Autos:

- 2002 Z28 (Same as 1SS now) - $22,830 - about $8000 or so less than a 2010.

- 2002 Vert - $26, 410 - Around $3600 more.

- 2002 Z28 Vert - $29, 925 - So about the same as a base vert now.

And the thing that gets me is that if you look at automotive pricing, it has not gone up anywhere near the 35% increase on the V8. GM is just leveraging the supply and demand to get the pricing. I don't blame them really, but it does keep me from owning one.

-Geoff
Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 AM

I voted yes... and I honestly feel there is no other way to reasonably vote.

Here's why.

First off, we're talking about a car that has 550 horsepower. It has a modern sophisticated suspension. Save the cheap looking (and feeling) interior pieces and guage graphics, it's just as solid as anything else costing that much.

Second, this is NOT a car for the masses, nor should it be. Anyone feeling that there should be a 550 horsepower, race level machine like this available to anyone for just $30-35,000 isn't exactly playing with a full deck.

Finally, anyone thinking that this car is overpriced should go out and find another new 550 hp car that costs less... let alone, one track capable.

Good luck Don Quixote.

The heartburn with the naysayers is simply they are attached to what THEY feel the Camaro name should be.... and nothing more. Any expansion of the Camaro name beyond what they feel Camaro's boundaries should be is deemed "overpriced" or not a good value. Wanting something for nothing, perhaps?

Automobiles value (as any other product) is measured against everything else in it's class. What offers the most for the most reasonable amount of money.

This Z28 is a no brainer against everything else out there in this catagory.

Those that say "but...it's a CAMARO!!...It CAN'T cost that much" are cherrypicking facts.

A V6 Camaro nearby is going for $23,000.
It is about as quick as an LT1 Z28.
It has IRS, 312 horsepower, stop traffic looks, and has the capability to go nearly 160 mph.

If you absolutely must have a V8, there is the SS which is now starting at around $32,000. It will outaccelerate any Dodge Viper made prior to the start of this decade, and unlike the Mustang GT 5.0, it has a sophisticated and pricey (next to a live axle) IRS. These Camaros represent values that Camaro has traditionally represented.

The regular Corvette also is a value. However, you also have a $70,000 Corvette as well as a $100,000+ Corvette. Both represent values when you look at what other 2 passenger sports cars on the market that have similar performance capability. I don't recall anyone thumbing their nose and dismissing these vehicles as "just a Corvette".

The same goes with a $50,000 Z28.

It has a horsepower number that was unthinkable in a regular passenger car (let alone a Chevy) just a few years ago. It's track capable. It's also going to be pretty well loaded.

Sure, Ford also has a car in this rare field. But if GM charges a few grand more over the GT500, then (just like the fact GM charges more for other Camaros than Ford does with comparable Mustangs) the IRS makes it worth the differences.

Is a $50,000 Camaro Z28 a value based on what we know so far about it???

To paraphrase a Geico commercial:

"Is getting into a snowball fight with Randy Johnson a bad idea?"

You bet it's a value.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
Same as it was 8 years ago? If it was I would already own one. I just looked this up on MSN Autos:

-Geoff
What they mean is you have to factor in with inflation not literally the same dollar amount. $22k in 2002 is about the equivalent of $30k in 2011. Kind of like old farts bragging about back when gas was .25 a gallon but the average paycheck was $70.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
I have to say yes. Personally I feel the ZL1 would have been a better badge at that price point for it though but I appear to have been in the minority.
SLP owns the "ZL" trademark and they already offer the ZL Camaros.
http://www.slpcamaro.com
Take a guess as to what price the ZL585 goes for.

I couldnt imagine a ZL1 at this point unless it had the LS9 and entire car was carbon fiber and gutted or something.
That will most certainly push it well past the 50k mark. The ZR1 has the LS9 and carbon fiber (and is more car than a Camaro could ever be, IMO) but look at the MSRP...$120k. Well over twice what this hypothetical Z28 would cost.

Jason are those the same Rims you have on yours?
No, those are CCW wheels on the "mule". Mine are Forgelines (but very similar in spoke style).

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
PS....I didn't vote. Neener neener neener.
Yes, you did IMO!

That's exactly right, here is the GMBuypower window sticker from my 2002 SS....
http://www.phantomss.com/oldsite/cam...ker/index.html

But as mentioned before, it is where you put your value. If it is comparing performance...the 2011 V6 Camaro will compete with the 2002 V8 Camaro in both performance (on paper) and similar price. But if you focus beyond performance and look at everything else, there is no question the 5th gen is a better car for a similar price...8 years later. Just for general comparison only, of course.

And the thing that gets me is that if you look at automotive pricing, it has not gone up anywhere near the 35% increase on the V8. GM is just leveraging the supply and demand to get the pricing. I don't blame them really, but it does keep me from owning one.
Just remember there is more to the cost than just the materials. Vehicle production costs at start up are crazy. They need to get that back somehow.

Personally, I am hoping for a ~$40k "base" Z28 myself. I am thinking it is possible...but I don't know if it will be offered that way.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

:sigh:

Originally Posted by Z284ever
A $50,000 Camaro is only a good value if it can outperform a $50,000 Mustang and $50,000 Corvette......
Of course, because performance is the only thing that matters.

Also, everyone knows that something can't be considered a "good" value if anything, anywhere, could possibly be considered a "better" value.

Get real, Charlie.

If the $50,000 Camaro is comparable in terms of performance as well as all other aspects (safety, comfort, amenities, etc) of the vehicle, without any significant drawbacks, then it has a chance to be a good value. Assuming Chevrolet accomplishes that baseline, there are characteristics that will make it "the right purchase decision" to some buyers. Some will buy it simply because it's a Z28. Others will buy it because it's a Camaro. Others will buy it because it's a Chevrolet. Some will buy it because they want the fastest four-seat Chevy they can get. Some will buy it because they have too much money and nothing better to do with it. Jay Leno will buy one just because he can.

If it does indeed outperform a GT500 or a base Corvette, then some people will buy it for that reason. If it doesn't, some people will still buy it.

Value, automotively, is an extremely personal measurement. I think it's silly to ask this question and expect concrete answers that aren't based significantly in opinion, especially before we have final specs and performance numbers on the car.

Personally, I think the GT500 is a pretty good value, and I think the Z28 will be similar in price and in performance. So, I think that aforementioned baseline has been met, and therefore I think GM will sell plenty -- therefore I voted yes. It's not a car I'm personally interested in buying, so is it a good value for me, personally? I guess not.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:47 PM

- 2002 Vert - $26, 410 - Around $3600 more.

- 2002 Z28 Vert - $29, 925 - So about the same as a base vert now.

but to get a fully loaded 2ss you can come in around 35 with essentially all the goodies. rs package,polished wheels if wanted, sunroof or not.

-Geoff
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ang_specs.html according to motortrend, the 2002 ss as tested was 32k. i dont know where your getting a 2002 z28 for 22 but i had a 1999 v6 and it was 22k new. no leather, had t tops and was auto. that was about the only options.

as far as pricing a 2ss over 40, sure its possible with the 21" wheels and other gmpp add ons. but a 2ss with even an auto,sunroof,IOM interior and exterior,rs package is less than 40k
Old 10-04-2010, 01:01 PM

...as far as pricing a 2ss over 40, sure its possible with the 21" wheels and other gmpp add ons. but a 2ss with even an auto,sunroof,IOM interior and exterior,rs package is less than 40k
Ok - but you said your 2SS was "loaded" and that it was $35k. That is the price for a no-option (at all) 2SS. A "no-option" car is typically not considered "loaded", but perhaps my frame of reference is just dated.

Concur on your "loaded" example...I get $38,930. That said, I can still get over $40k without any GMPP add-ons. For example....stripes, a cargo mat, and the polished (vice painted) wheels would get me there....and I would certainly call that car "loaded".

Your definition may be different.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
:sigh:

Of course, because performance is the only thing that matters.

Also, everyone knows that something can't be considered a "good" value if anything, anywhere, could possibly be considered a "better" value.

Get real, Charlie.

I am very real. If the value equation is performance, then performance is how you measure it. No? Unless you think people will be judging this car's value on it's utility?

But it's all academic anyway. People will be buying this car regardless of it's performance or it's value or it's price or it's anything - at least initially. I wouldn't be surprised if the average transaction price exceeds $70,000 with dealer mark up the first year or two.

But once that initial mad rush is over, it'll be back to good old fashioned performance value. Bet the ranch on it....
Old 10-04-2010, 01:20 PM

I haven't purchased a new Camaro yet because in part I was waiting for HUD, and pricing on the convertible and Z28.

Originally Posted by guionM
A V6 Camaro nearby is going for $23,000.
It is about as quick as an LT1 Z28.
It has IRS, 312 horsepower, stop traffic looks, and has the capability to go nearly 160 mph.
Which is why at this point I'm leaning toward purchasing a used 2LT RS... assuming I can find one.

New 2010 Camaros are still priced over MSRP here in northern California. I have even seen used ones selling near MSRP, which is probably why I still rarely see them on the roads. (I do see a lot of Mustangs and Challengers though. )

$7000 over the coupe is not enough of a "value" for me to consider a convertible at this time.

Yes, the Z28 is going to be exclusive. I was not expecting it to be anything less. However when you consider that dealers will certainly add a "market adjustment" to such an "exclusive" Camaro, with a starting price of $50k, a fully loaded Z28 will probably be priced north of $60k initially. How can anyone consider that a "value"?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I am very real. If the value equation is performance, then performance is how you measure it. No? Unless you think people will be judging this car's value on it's utility?
i lol'd, like seriously what are you judging its value on - trunk space. its the highest level of a high performance car - it should be obvious that it would be judged on performance.

dont just follow, jake your so worried about agreeing with jason that you dont even realize how little sense your comment makes. if you want to judge it on things other than performance that is fine, but the VAST majority will not be

my vote is no way, a 2ss with similar mods and more power would be much faster - and cheaper, fast and cheap - sounds like a better value to me

Quick Reply: $50 grand* for a Camaro Z28. Is that a good VALUE**?