2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

$50 grand* for a Camaro. Is that a good thing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Is it income? Again, most new Camaro buyers have always been those who have gotten secure in their job, and have a bit of money to be more expressive in their car purchases. NEW Camaro (and Mustang) buyers have never been the same people who bought Cobalts, Cavaliers, Novas, & Vegas... the new cars actually bought by young people buying their 1st new car.

Not true. We're close to the same age Guy. I can remember LOTS of people my age buying new Camaros and Firebirds when I was a late teen/early 20's. Lots. Guys and girls. I'm sure you can too. Like I said previously, it's one thing to ADD a collector's range topper model, it's another to abandon your roots. Plenty of those 18 year old Camaro buyers went on to buy more Camaros, Corvettes, GM sedans and GM trucks. Would they, had they purchased a Ford or Hyundai instead?

Plus....the old addage.....It's easy to sell a young man's car to an old man, but it's hard to sell an old man's car to a young man.

My point is, that GM should be careful about where the Camaro brand is going. Ford as well, with Mustang. It's not just about the quick buck.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I mean price wise, and all that that encompasses, regarding age, etc. You can look over my reply to Matt if you want, but the danger as I see it, is that Camaro is straying further and further from it's traditional youth and youth oriented buyer. When the price of admission for an interesting or performance version starts in the low $30K's, you have restricted yourself from an important segment.
Just the fact that we're talking about Chevy needing an "entry level" performance car in other threads tells me Camaro has moved up the ladder. I think this is where not having a serious performance Cruze/Aveo model is really going to hurt.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:16 PM

I think that I'm less concerned about the addition of an expensive range topping Camaro as I am about the availability of an interesting entry level performance model.

Currently, Camaro starts at $22,680 for a base LS and then requires about an $8500 premium for the next performance level step-up, (1SS). Could there be something fun with street cred in between? Something which could grasp the attention of more youthful buyers and help protect the future buyer base of the Camaro brand? Maybe a cheaper V8 version is out of the question nowadays. Okay.
But how about some sort of "Brake Performance Package" for the base V6 LS? Let's say for an additional $1200-$1500 you could get the 1SS suspension and Brembos as an option package on the LS. Maybe add some other bling, like a freer flowing airbox, or gearing or something. For about $24K you'd have a pretty serious car which would get some attention. Maybe ALOT of attention. Bottom line is to retain entry level performance enthusiasts.

I'd also support a Camaro Boss competitor. What should they call it?
Well if I was the Camaro King, I would probably be mean and not offer the performance package on the LS, but at any rate that is again a minor detail.

There should be something for the V6 car, and truth be told for the V8 car, as far as more performance orientation... there isn't a realistic way to offer more power easily but I don't see how it is hard to change spring rates, sway bars, rear end ratios and put LSD in the V6 automatic. SS suspension and brakes on the V6 cars would not require reinventing the wheel, nor would it require serious engineering. I would have to look at the spring rates to compare them and see if this would necessarily be desirable, but at the least if you could offer a pack for the V6 with the Brembos and upgraded sway bars that would be a step in the right direction. There is also no reason not to offer LSD in the V6 auto. Ideally you would get a good shock, like a Bilstein or Koni too...since shocks are the real foundation of the entire suspension. I don't think there are any available right now, but I'm sure they could be available quicker if GM asked for some.

The SS could also stand to benefit from a track package. Again good shocks, maybe stiffer springs, different bars, and go ahead and throw a more aggressive brake pad on for good measure. Wheels are already more than large enough in diameter, but the car may need a little more width up front. I think more serious people would want the front at least as big as the rear in width, and perhaps more aggressive tires like a PS2 would be in order.

More available rear end ratios would also be nice across the board.

As far as a Boss competitor, I suppose they could call it IROC, lol
Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Not true. We're close to the same age Guy. I can remember LOTS of people my age buying new Camaros and Firebirds when I was a late teen/early 20's. Lots. Guys and girls. I'm sure you can too.
I think we're all about the same age, but I don't recall anyone buying new Camaros and Firebirds back in the day. In fact, I put off buying a new Camaro at 25 because I couldn't afford the insurance and that was after graduating from college and getting my first "real" engineering job.

In today's world, the starting age for new Camaro buyers is probable closer to 30+... especially with most millennials moving back home with Mom & Dad after college graduation because they can't find a job.

That's not to say Chevrolet (can't say Chevy anymore) shouldn't have a sporty car for the younger crowd; however it sure as heck ain't called Camaro.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28

That's not to say Chevrolet (can't say Chevy anymore) shouldn't have a sporty car for the younger crowd; however it sure as heck ain't called Camaro.
In a recent reversal, the word "Chevy" is back on.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Well if I was the Camaro King, I would probably be mean and not offer the performance package on the LS, but at any rate that is again a minor detail.
I'd be a much more loving and generous King.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Just the fact that we're talking about Chevy needing an "entry level" performance car in other threads tells me Camaro has moved up the ladder. I think this is where not having a serious performance Cruze/Aveo model is really going to hurt.
For sure.

Either an edgier version of a base Camaro in the $25K or under range, or something really cool off of Gamma or Delta. That $18K-$30K performance segment is becoming loaded with very exciting entries, from virtually everyone other than GM. GM needs to quicken it's step....